Asked on Jul 26, 2013

Need help painting an "unknown" wood



I bought an armoire off Craigslist for 5 bucks. Score right? Well when I picked it up I noticed some damage on the bottom of the piece. It looks like it has gotten wet and the "wood" top is peeling off. I have no idea if this is pressed wood or what..but I'd like to paint it, and paint it white.. If I could restain it, that'd be awesome too. Any help or advice? This is my first time painting furniture and I'm not sure what to do.
1 answer
  • Gale
    on Jul 26, 2013

    I have a similar issue with an old desk. I'm thinking I will reglue any loose veneer down, then use wood filler to smooth out any areas where the veneer has peeled all the way off. But first I'm going to use citristrip to remove the old paint and then after the gluing and filling paint it with some chalk paint and use poly over that. I've never done it before though, so I'm as clueless as you are. lol

Your comment...