Tips on Growing Daylilies

One of the backbone plants of our garden is the daylily. They are hardy and easy to grow. The number of varieties is constantly expanding and they come in nearly every color. Daylilies can be used as specimen plants in the garden or massed to stabilize a slope or to act as a carefree ground cover. Dwarf forms are good container subjects. Although each flower only lasts a day, the blooms open over a long period. By planting several varieties it is possible to have blooms nearly all summer long.
When planting your bareroot Daylily, dig a hole deep and wide enough to accommodate the roots. Spread out the thick roots in the hole and place the plant so the crown -- where the leaves meet the roots -- is 1in below the surface of the soil
Daylilies will grow in full sun in the North and will tolerate the same in the South with sufficient moisture
These perennials prefer a well-drained loam with a pH approaching neutral.
Daylilies rank high on the list of plants resistant to insects and diseases.
Ferns, Hosta, and Solomon's Seal are lovely with Daylilies growing in shadier spots.
On all types of Daylilies, spent flowers should be snapped off daily and the entire flower scape should be cut off after all buds have passed.

Dan330

• Betty Vandetta

New grower of day lilies. What is the flower scape?

• Dan330

The scape is the stalk that the flowers bloom from. They typically have no leaves.

• Norene

I have many beautiful Day lilies. The grow very tall with many buds. I would love to put them in my arrangements that I put together for my home. The problem I have is that there are many buds on one plant and they open at different times. Any suggestions as to when or if I should cut them for arrangements. Some of the buds die before others open. Each pant may have 10 to 15 buds. Thank you.

• Jan Marie

Day lilies only bloom for one day so you would have to replace them every day in your arrangement. I love day lilies.

• Kelly Starns

I planted my first daylillies last fall. Have great foilage but no blooms. Is this normal? Do you cut them back in the fall or spring?

• Bobbie

I live in SC and we have what my husband and I call Road Lilies. They are just growing and thriving in the ditches along the roads. We have talked about gathering some of those, but never have. The road crews just mow them down and it doesn't seem to bother them. They come right back. This is the kind I need !!! :~)