Porta Verde Studio
Porta Verde Studio
  • Canada

Antique Sideboard Before and After: What Would You Choose?

Jonnie HammonMargo MitchemPauliegirl1
+31

I recently posted a sideboard that is my most recent project. I asked what colour to paint it and many people chimed in to say NOT to paint. For all lovers of fine wood (of which I am one) put aside your passions for a moment and consider the painted or unpainted version of this sideboard I did. Bear in mind, the wood was not in the greatest shape and it was for going to be sold - so time was money. It was painted, custom glazed, antiqued and the top was refinished. Before or After Folks?
The After Photo
The After Photo
q antique sideboard before and after what would you choose, painted furniture
The Before Photo
The Before Photo
  • Elaine

A.F.T.E.R.

• Alexandra Arena

Definitely the after, @Porta Verde Studio! Thanks for involving us! :)

• Mary Insana

3rd vote here for after. I love it when the wood tops are in good enough shape to save them and stain instead of painting. Givse a piece of furniture character.

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

I'm a wood lover too, but sometimes paint covers a multitude of sins (scars). AFTER!!

• Miriam I

After all the way!

• Sia@South 47th

@Porta Verde Studio WOW! Beautiful AFTER!!!

• Porta Verde Studio

Thanks Sia. I almost wept when it went to its new home. I truly loved that piece but we can't keep everything (though I do try!)

• Yael Valencia

Its a beautiful piece of furniture but the way you painted it made a modern treasure out of this classic beauty. After!

• Sia@South 47th

@Porta Verde Studio I bet you did almost weep! Such an outstanding job!! Yep your right we can't keep everything hehehhe But I know how you feel when you've worked so hard on something and then sell it. Keep up the fabulous work!! xo

• Nancy Seboek-Meadows

after!

• Prudy Shay

...beautiful ever after;)

• Deborah Harvey

Absolutely gorgeous ~

• Kelly

After. I love that you left the top stained

• Sherrie

Prefect Balance! It is stunning.

• Pamela Dawn Yow

After was the best choice...

• Frankie Laney

Absolutely beautiful. The right choice for sure.

• Cyndi Moore Tippett

You did an awesome job! I have a sofa table that I have been toying around with painting but couldn't decide what color scheme....I Loved the white/dark top! You have inspired me to try it!

• Nita Osborne

Definitely after!! The finished product is stunning!! well done :)

• Debbie Stanley

I love it before and after. Looks really wonderful! Good job!

• Lorraine Edwards

Hands down, after! Not all natural old wood is beautiful. Great paint jobs like the one you just showed us is proof positive that you now have a striking, "new" piece of furniture and custom to boot. GREAT job!!

• Eunice W

I love the after. You did a great job!

• Regina

This is one of the two very best furniture re-do's I've seen anywhere! You did a beautiful job on it and preserved its integrity as a lovely traditional piece.

• Porta Verde Studio

Wow! I'm so heartened by all of the great responses to this post. There is much to be said for painting those old wood gems that are tired and worn. If the wood is beautiful and valuable on the piece, it's always good to restore but a nice paint job can make all the difference.

• Jossi

GORGEOUS ! and what did u use to make the top so shiny ?

• Porta Verde Studio

@Jossi. I did several coats with an oil wiping varnish. No dust nibs!

• Curtain Lady Design

Love it! Great job!

• White Oak Studio Designs

What did you use to "wax" this white? wax, stain or? Thanks! Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SWMichigan Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolioof chalk painted work)

• Sia@South 47th

@donnaallgaierlamberti@gmail.com Your question probably got LOST, due to all of your 'Advertising' underneath. Might behoove you to remove it and just keep it on your home page.

• White Oak Studio Designs

After a career in marketing I personally prefer to have contact info. readily visible and available.

• Porta Verde Studio

@donnaallgaierlamberti@gmail.com Hi, I didn't use wax, I used an oil tinted glaze.

• Sia@South 47th

@donnaallgaierlamberti@gmail.com Any person in marketing will tell you that what you are displaying is overkill and detracts, not helps. Put it on your page, let people come to you. On some sites what you are doing is considered SPAM. Heads up! Thank YOU. I see you have removed it. xo

• Pauliegirl1

Great job!!! I have one that I am going to paint also!! Its on my LONG list of to-do's!!! LOL!!!

• Margo Mitchem

Definitely after pic. Just did one myself today and hope it sells soon. Pics. attached.

• Jonnie Hammon

I would go with a dark jewel tone. The dark wood top, would look great with a merlot, burgundy, emerald, etc...