What kind of plant is this?

+16
This is the second type of plant, popping up in daughters garden this year, that we have no idea how it got there or what it is. Here are some photos. Your help to identify this plant is greatly appreciated and anticipated.
what kind of plant is this, flowers, gardening, Leaves
Leaves
what kind of plant is this, flowers, gardening, It has delicate white trumpet blossoms that look similar to morning glory flowers They open then disappear leaving no sign of fruit
It has delicate white trumpet blossoms that look similar to morning glory flowers. They open then disappear leaving no sign of fruit.
what kind of plant is this, flowers, gardening
  • Luis Luis on Jul 26, 2013
    Norma I think it might be a Thorn apple, Jimsonweed
  • Norma Jean Savitsky Norma Jean Savitsky on Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks Luis, I will look that up. It also has a hollow type stem. Would that be a weed?
  • Luis Luis on Jul 26, 2013
    Norma, if it is what I am talking about has beautiful flowers like trumpets, I have it in my garden
  • Vickie Lanham Vickie Lanham on Jul 26, 2013
    It is Jimsonweed they are a weed or a beautiful night blooming plant, it is all in how you see it . They make a shrub size plant every year. I keep the seedpods pulled off so that it doesn't become a pest.
    Thank you both! The night blooming aspect may be why the flowers seem to disappear. I'm a little confused, is the thorn apple & jimsonweed the same plant called by different names? They both look so similar online photos. My daughter brought me over a piece today & it has a funny hollow stem, green flower pod that then opens to a white flower. Thank you both so very much for your insight!
  • Shelia Shelia on Jul 27, 2013
    It is a flower called The MOON FLOWER and blooms only at NIGHT I bought mine at a nursery
  • Peg Peg on Jul 27, 2013
    Jimson weed, it's one of the "nightshade" plants, very toxic. Young adults have tried to use it as a "recreational" drug. I get rid of it when I find it.
  • Lgsmith Lgsmith on Jul 27, 2013
    I thought Moon Flower was a vine that is a member of the morning glory family...
  • Luis Luis on Jul 27, 2013
    True moonflower ( ipomoea alba ) is a vine. but some people might called this plant by that name
  • Norma Jean Savitsky Norma Jean Savitsky on Jul 27, 2013
    That settles it 3 out of 4, I'm calling it Jimsonweed. By the way, do the leaves make you itchy. Thank everyone, I think we had a consensus. You were all very helpful & quite knowledgeable!
  • Meredith bungard Meredith bungard on Jul 28, 2013
    It's Jimson weed or we call it Angel trumpets. Blooms at night . Be careful Beautiful but poisonous. Keep children and pets from eating it. Sometimes called locoweed.
  • Patches Patches on Jul 28, 2013
    It is Jimsonweed also known as Datura. As mentioned by a couple people already (LGSmith; Luis;) It is often mistaken for Moonflower (Impomoea Alba). This plant is very toxic and as mentioned children should not be allowed to be near this plant.
  • Judy Judy on Jul 28, 2013
    When I raise Datura, I always put a fence around it so that children and pets won't get near the leaves which are toxic and hallucinogenic. But they're worth raising, in my opinion, because they're gorgeous.
  • Meburke Meburke on Jul 28, 2013
    if it's a Trumpet? We up North here call them "Datura,Brugmonsia,Angels trumpet"some can be variegated,fuzzy/spikes on leaves, sold here as an annual tropical but I still find them popping up in cracks in the pavers years later...WARNING: seed pod is very sharp spikes & Poisonus...for sure .keep animals,small kids hands away.my tiny boys liked the weird pod ..old English gardens are full of the "datura, family". Great find if its that..they hang down like a bell,a wedding bell?
  • Norma Jean Savitsky Norma Jean Savitsky on Jul 28, 2013
    Judy do the leaves cause itching?
  • Peg Peg on Jul 29, 2013
    Our local Nursery here has a variegated one in their greenhouse for sale, they labeled it "brugmonsia". It didn't have the thorns like the wild version growing here.
  • Patches Patches on Jul 30, 2013
    I know it is very confusing! If you Google Datura your get the 'thornapple' with pic as mentioned in @Meburke, IL; and photo per @Luis, CT. You will find more information about the datura here: http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/poisonous-plants.htm
  • Tabby Tabby on Jul 30, 2013
    it is a dangerous weed around farms, we lost a lot of pigs who ate it and died. I would not allow it to grow, it can kill any animal and we all know toddlers put everything in their mouths. Even the oil from the leaves on their hands could cause illness, at the least. Sometimes beauty is deadly.
  • Peg Peg on Jul 31, 2013
    You're right Tabby, it is not a welcome plant on farms with grazing animals!