Dolly Sarrio
Dolly Sarrio
  • Timmonsville, SC

Does anyone know the name of this rose?

Dolly SarrioSharonhullCathy W
+21

It is about 2 1/2 ft tall and 5 ft wide. They bloom in clusters or at times singly. This bloom is 2 1/2 inches wide..it is strong stemmed low growing and blooms profusely. It has a sweet fruity fragrance. I purchased this rose over 15 years ago from Jackson and Perkins. All I know is that it is not a hybrid Tea, and not a climber. Thanks for any advice.
does anyone know the name of this rose, gardening
open bloom
open bloom
Cluster of blooms
Cluster of blooms
One bloom is finished
One bloom is finished
Excuse the grass and weeds I am reworking this bed and it has rained for 2 months.  Bush is 2 3/4 ft tall and growing but spreading.
Excuse the grass and weeds I am reworking this bed and it has rained for 2 months. Bush is 2 3/4 ft tall and growing but spreading.
buds/folliage
buds/folliage
Another section of buds
Another section of buds
Another bloom
Another bloom
another shot
another shot
Front bush is the one in question
Front bush is the one in question
Wide shot...grass and all.
Wide shot...grass and all.
  • Barb Kelley

Beautiful - sorry don't know - have you tried googleing it?

• Dolly Sarrio

Not yet might have to have a day to research this..I can't find it on J & P anymore either..thanks Barb.

• Cheryl Ogle

It looks like a gardenia

• Dolly Sarrio

It does but it is not it is a rose.

• Carole Andersen

Flower Carpet White Groundcover Rose. Monrovia produces them. Google to check it out for a match.

• Melissa F

It's not a rose. it's a gardenia.

• Pam McFairen

Could be a JFK rose...they are white

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

do you have fully open bloom picture you can post? I am wondering if it is a pioneer type rose, but they seem to have a more open look to them. The bloom is saying hybrid tea, but the size doesn't fit a hybrid tea....is it a repeat bloomer?

• Dolly Sarrio

I'll get one if I can and a picture of the entire bush. Thanks

• Dolly Sarrio

Carole Anderson does this look like a flower carpet? Donna added more pictures. Thanks everyone for your help...

• Dolly Sarrio

More pics added to maybe resolve this problem.

• Lora Collins

If you don't find out this year please go to your local Home Depot next year in the spring. They have different Rose bushes in packaging (not pots) and shows pictures of the different kinds on the packaging. I looked at one this year just like that.... and it is not a "knock-out" rose it is some kind of "......-American Beauty" Good luck. I will ask my friend to look at her book when I see her later today. Maybe I can have a better answer. Beautiful Though.

• Catherine Smith

It is a polyantha (many flowered) type of rose, reminds me of a white Cecile Brunner. Many of the polys are used as hedgerow type borders and this one looks to fill the bill. It looks very healthy and is going great guns for you.

• V Valencia

It is a beautiful rose. I have a white rose bush that I bought about 15 years ago from J&P catalog. It was called the John F. Kennedy. It tends to bloom in clusters of 3-4 flowers and some singles at a time.

• Catherine Smith

Sorry ladies, I am a rose freak, so I have to curb my tendency to lecture. LOL The JFK is a hybrid tea, where as Dolly's pretty is from the looks of it a polyantha, floribunda. These are older roses, from which all hybrid teas are created. The older one's are do not require so much TLK as the teas, but all are beautiful As I've gotten older, I've gone more to the antiques and rugosas since they are much easier to care for. I do still have a few teas, but am going in another direction.

, This is Sheer Bliss a hybrid tea And smell just like the name, Queen Elizabeth gorgeous deep red This one is about 25 years old it was a Mother s Day gift from my sons and still going strong
  • Dolly Sarrio

I am grateful for all of the information. I have a jFK and it is beautiful but hard to keep healthy. Catherine you are right it is a hybrid tea and different shape bush altogether from this one. I need to keep better records and am beginning to now label but also to make map and note which variety of plant something is and when planted. I have moved a few times and labels fall off things like that, or some relative gave me a plant and didn't know the name...we all have that don't we? Thanks to all for the information. We do love gardening! Embarrassed to having shared my bad flower bed in the redo stage but thankful to you all for your answers.

• Barbara Sawyer

Maybe an Iceberg rose.

• Carol Arney

I think it may be called a Knockout Rose. They come in many colors, I have a pink one. They are more bushy than a regular rose. Many use it here in Michigan for they're landscaping, cause they bloom all summer......google ........Knockout Rose..........they are very beautiful!!

• Dolly Sarrio

Thank you Carol but it isn't a knockout I have those in the garden too in single and double varieties and they are different. I bought this rose over15 years ago. At that time I had never even seen a knockout when did they come about? Thanks Barbara! it does favor an iceberg but I have iceberg behind the rose right in front of the fence..I don't know heck...it favors so many of the roses you all are telling me about..

• Patricia Martin

Looks like "Iceberg" to me.

• Mikell Paulson

Maybe it is a Moon Beam. My JFK had a bigger flower!

• Cathy W

May be a JFK.....

• Sharonhull

Dolly, if there is a chapter of American Rose Society near you, take an open flower, a bud and some of the foliage to one of their meetings, plus a decent photo of the entire plant showing its growth habit. Experienced members there may be able to ID it for you.

• Dolly Sarrio

Thank you.