Natural Weed Control That Works

Natural Weed Control
I don't usually post these things unless I have tried them, And this works. I was amazed how fast I saw results too.
Mix:
1 Gallon white vinegar
2 cups multi purpose epsom salt
1/4 cup regular blue dawn dish soap
Put into gallon sprayer, if you don't have a sprayer, You can use anything that will spray out liquid, Saturate weeds.
I used this in the morning around 10 am went back in a couple hours and the weeds were wilting and turning color, a few hours later, bye bye weeds. Use this every couple weeks to control weeds, all safer for the environment, and allot safer to have around the house with children and pets.
Ingredients for natural weed control
Ingredients for natural weed control

• Joh3167620

I think your recipe for the vinegar-epsom salt-Dawn weed killer is the earliest one found on the web. Did you first use this combination. If not, do you remember where you learned about it?

• Jan

Does this kill the grass I want to keep?

• Vickie Hamilton Batarseh

is it safe to used it on grass

• Dcl4496209

Can you plant after using this or is there a time line after the application..

• Toherangi

This kills the weeds/grasses by taking the vinegar and salt solution from the leaves through the plant and down into the root system. It won't affect the soil like some of the nasty chemical weedkillers can, but I would still probably wait a few days before planting. :)

• Pat Gayle

Will it kill English ivy?

• Toherangi

I very much doubt it. English Ivy is very hard to kill, but you can always give it a try and see :)

• Bun4852379

Can you use normal table salt instead of Epsom salts?

• Catherine Smith

No, table salt will kill everything. Epsom salts contains magnesium which helps feed the soil.

• Sarah McBride

Can regular vinegar be used instead of white?

• Geo5069348

@Sarah McBride White vinegar is the regular kind

• Stefanos Konstantopoulos

He means the red vinegar. Can we use the red vinegar?

• Toherangi

I think any vinegar should be fine, but it is the acetic acid level in the vinegar that counts. I may be wrong but I believe white vinegar or pickling vinegar has a higher level of acetic acid than the other varieties.

• Rockinrobin

The acetic acid level is printed on the label and is usually 5%

• Jerri

Will this work on Bermuda grass?

• Sue

Will this mix kill moss on a patio?

• Jus5348400

Will this kill flowers?

• Debbie Boutwell

Will this "formula" kill small flowering trees and/or plants?...

• Roberta Lenski

Yes. Just because it is "natural" does not make it safe. Use this only in areas where you want NO plants. It affects the soil fertility for months to years. It only kills the plant above ground so the likelihood of a weed returning is great. Some recipes use table salt which makes the soil infertile for years. Epsom salt is a product with magnesium - a "major minor" plant need. So adding Epsom salt to a weed killer is counterproductive aa well as unnecessary cost. If this weed killer over sprays or runs off onto desirable plants, the likelihood is they will be damaged and the soil contaminated. Use this product only for walks and driveways. Take care to keep it from desirable growing areas.

• Shirley Long

so really it sounds like it is not such a wonderful idea for your garden after all , and I have just posted it onto FB, so it is really not good advice at all then. I wish I had read this first, why do people not tell you the whole story about things?

• A D

Will this formula kill small trees if I keep it a reasonable distance from the trunk of the tree and spray lightly?.... I have a bed around a small birch tree (about 3' in diameter) and wood mulch covering the bed... some grass and small weeds are coming up through the mulch... This stuff does work... I sprayed it around my above-the-ground pool and it did a job on the weeds and grass... Did you say the Epson Salt is NOT necessary?...

• Sondra McDermott

Can you use the natural weed killer with a sprayer that connects to a hose?

• Theresa Shearer

Does anyone have a deterrent for dogs urinating on my lawn. The grass is being ruined by all the yellow spots.

• Dave Shilling

tomato juice in the dog's diet

• Pamela Kennedy

if someone else's dog, maybe try getting one of the motion sensor water shot sprinklers, so they get water blasted when in your yard! I am thinking about getting one to keep the deer out of my yard!! lol
  • Car5722970

Do you know what to use around roses an flowers

• Susan

Hello, we have a gravel driveway we need to spray, but are worried that when it rains after we use this natural week killer, that it will spread onto the grassy areas we don't want damaged. How long does it remain active?

• 5899314

will it kill mugwort?

• Brenda Sallee

will this kill out Bermuda grass from my flower beds

• RoseAnn Sellen

Will kill snow on the mountain?

• M.C.

does this solution kill the roots of the weed?

• Kat Davis-Moran

It kills the weed and have not had any trouble with it coming back in that spot, you have to keep in mind that this is not a toxic product because you can plant in the same spot within hours

• Christine Wightman

Will this kill my plants and flowers?

• Yvette Spicer

Yes, vinegar will kill everything it is sprayed on. I would not use it in a vegetable or flower garden. I use vinegar on the weeds in my gravel driveway and within 1 day, there are no green spots ...

• Jim Price

It will also damage the PH balance in the soil.

• Robert Henderson Jr

will epstom salt spray on my plants hurst them or make them gtow

• Kat Davis-Moran

I would not spray directly on any plants, I would however use Epsom alone around the base of plants

• Connie

What about the grass will it kill that if I'm using it on the dandelions in the grass

• Ruth Gross Bachula

How soon can you plant vegetables after using this weed keeler

• Nancy

If I spray it on weeds in mulch will it hurt my trees?

• Tonia Ann Mawyer

How long will the weeds and grass stay dead before you have to do it again?

• Therese

Will it hurt my flowers or plants?

• Niki Hamm

yes, but you can use it on your garden plants in a very diluted amount as a natural bug deterrent.

• Cheryl Carroll

How long should spray be on before it rains?

• Dan Aakre

I would say at least two hours. I sprayed it and could see the weeds starting to tip over in about an hour. But I also used a very high strength vinegar that is used for processing food. Plus I used non ionic surfactant instead of dawn dish soap.

• Julie Cioffi

are we talking about weeds IN the grass? or weeds in between the pave? and if IN grass, does it not harm the grass as well? please confirm.....thks much!

• Bette

Will this kill chickweed?

• Cheryl Ann MacArthur

Is this pet friendly?

• Jean Schnick

Di I have to use Dawn detergent? What about Palmolive?

• Jon

I used WalMart Apple scent and it worked fine. The dish soap helps it cling to vegetation.

• Martha Walker

Will this kill thorny brush such as blackberry and thistles?

• Doug Fontenot

The detergent acts as a surfactant and breaks down the protective waxy layer that all plants produce on the leaf surface. The detergent disolves the layer and allows entry of the mixture into the vascular system of the plant. Any detergent works in the same way but some are likely more effective than others.

• Ram7742547

Will there be any chemical reaction when I mix vinegar and Epsom salt together

• Debbie

Can you use an in a vegetable garden why there's plants in it

• San8473758

How long does this mixture last in a container after I have mixed it?

• Elaine

Can I use any dishsoap? i.e., Palmolive pure + clear?

• Richard Geddes

Why dawn?

• Phyllis Murphy Froman

I have creeping Charlie, & poison oak around my rose bushes. Will this mixture harm my rose bushes and iris?

• Johnee

It will kill grass, so I assume it may damage your roses.

• Nancy

Does this affect the plants in the garden ?

• Marie Newhouse

How much cider vinegar & how much Epsom salt to make weed killer. I tried the vinegar, Epsom & orig dawn with no success. If you would provide this info, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

• Kat Goodman

White vinegar will do as good if not better and will be much cheaper. Epsom salt is not real salt, but is a mineral compound that will not kill plants but will actually act as a fertilizer. Vinegar and a little dawn dish soap alone will kill the top of the plants but not the roots. If the roots aren't killed then the plant will probably grow back. That's why real table salt (not Epsom 'salt' ) is sometimes added, but real salt not only kills the weed root and all, it also will sterilize the soil, so that nothing will grow there for many years. So it's good to only use this if it contains salt on areas like cracks in the sidewalk, etc.

• Kat Davis-Moran

Read the Discription it will tell the amounts, also I do not use cider vinegar, it calls for white hopes this helps

• Wel11762445

I tried this with no success. I hate using harsh chemicals

• Bonnie Pega

If this didn't work for you, try just plain boiling water. It will kill the roots of whatever you pour it on, but does not sterlize the soil

• Lau27469352

I'm thinking it will help with fleas2 of the ingredients are flea repellent. Just put it in my dogs yard because he's so allergic to weeds grass
  • Grace Taylor

What would be the ingredient ratio in a regular spray bottle like 20 ounces or so?

• Chris Gibson

Divide everything by six (128 ounces in a gallon) So, add 1/3 cup epsom and say, just shy of a tablespoon of blue dawn. If you want to be precise, pull out a calculator.

• Doug Whittum

Does this treatment prevent planting later? I don't want to harm the soil.

• Paul Pasemann

How many days does it take to kill the plants

• Olga Rivas

Thank for your post. My question is: Do I need to use only blue Dawn?

• Nickk

what about rock salt. Will using rock salt sterilize the soil, as in the soil between my sidewalks, stairs and bricks?

• Maria

Hi I live in Florida could I spray this on the grass I wouldn't kill it thank you Maria

• Fre7786617

after dead weeds r removed following "treatment". can new plants (ground cover) be planted in the soil?

• Shelley Damon

Can you safely use this on the family dog?

• Nancy

What does this do to my flowers; specifically irises

• Kat Davis-Moran

It will kill what you spray it on, you can re plant the following day but I would not spray it on the flowers,

• Jay21643639

Can you spray this solution on your whole lawn without killing the grass?

• Geri

No, vinegar kills grass faster than any other weeds

• Tan10348106

Will it kill my shrub trees

• Mel20804162

Does it have to be Dawn? Can a substitute soap be used?

• Anita Perez

Does this mixture kill the root and for how long

• Cfr18435211

will this klll creeping chrlie without hurting the grass

• Sma1137439

I'd like to know that too. Creeping Charlie is so hard to get rid of. I hate using poisons but I did last year and it killed a lot of grass near the Round up.

• Mary K Barton

I use spectricide in silver container to kill creeping charlie last year . I killed only charlie. This year I see some creeping back in not anything like last year.

• Judith

After the weeds are killed in the lawn, how long before I can I can plant grassseed.

• Carolb

The presence of salt after a time will sterilize and leach into the soil so that nothing will grow there. I wouldn't add salt if you plan on replanting. You still can kill weeds with vinegar & soap on a dry hot day.

• Jo

I have a waterfall that flows into a fish pond (with live fish) Can I use this without hurting the fish? The weeds are usually high on the waterfall and if I am careful to just spray the weeds and not to get in the pond will it be ok?

• Mcg20639302

Is this safe for pets?

• Bambi

anyone know if it will kill ivy.....vines growing everywhere up my fences....how about kudzu?!?!?!?

• Bette

how many square feet does it do?

• Melissa Arias

Do I add any to this?

• Charlene Shaffer Riveral

Is it ok to use scented (Lavender) epsom salt?
  • Sandra Eckert-stewart

Does the spray sterlize the soil?
  • Fran Zepp

What's your question?
    s or just weeds?
  • Lee

Husband mixed these ingredients in a plastic milk jug and filled a smaller spray bottle. Since
    it has been rainy and cold, he had not used the
    remainder-about 1/2 of milk jug. This morning he found jug shrunk in the middle which caused
    the bottom to burst open. Was on concrete
    floor - no problem. But chemically what
    happened?

• Kat Davis-Moran

never heard of this, I would assume it was the vinegar and salt, I always use it up but next time I would leave the cap off, chemically to me it is harmless
    • Nicholas Vernola

It works ! I tried it last week. Does it kill the grass as well? I am afraid to use it on my lawn
    • Charline Knake

This kills everything you spray it on - however new growth comes back in a few days so you have some time to clean the area and replant new seeds if needed. If you want to permanently kill and not have anything grow change to table salt and spray regularly a few times- the table salt will build up and make the soil toxic to plant growth (great for sidewalk and patio cracks) The difference is epsom salt is not real salt, it is magnesium sulfate (often used as fertilizer) and table salt is truly salt.
  • Lisa

How long until you can safely plant plants in the area where this is used?
    • Chris

After reading several websites that focus on this recipe, I learned that the salt makes the soil toxic to all future plants. Perhaps for a very long time. If you want to replant the area, one suggestion is to just use the vinegar and dish soap without the salt. Still kills the weeds, but allows you to replant without concerns that your new plants will soon be dead, too.
    • Beth Scintillant Martell

Sodium chloride is the salt you use on the table and by the truckload to melt ice on the roads. Long term, it is hard on soil, ponds, and trees.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It is used in small amounts as a fertilizer because plants need it to be healthy.
  • Sgo22980649

Can I spray this on my lawn to get rid of weeds?
  • Cbo12949208

Can you use any dish detergent other than Dawn?
    • Kat Davis-Moran

I have never tried any other than dawn, if you do let me know the out come
    • Cry28420893

A cheap liquid soap works just as well. I use 2 Tb. spoons or so. Because it's cheap, I add another tablespoon or so. But, NOT a 1/4 c. - that's overkill.

Use 1 c of regular table salt. Salt dries the leaves up. NOT Epsom Salt - that is magnesium. Our soil lacks magnesium here which is why some plants become chlorotic. I buy 40 lb bags of Epsom saIt from the feed store to use on those plants. That is one product that I don't have to measure because you can't use enough of it.

I've found that 1 bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar works sooo much better than white distilled vinegar. Vinegar strips the chlorophyll out of the leaves. It also kills frogs in about a minute or so.

• Dottie

Do you have to use Dawn dish soap or is Palmolive just as effective?
    • Kat Davis-Moran

I have posted that I have not used anything but dawn blue original so I can not say it will work but if you try it let us know the results

• Ks

You are a very patient person to answer some of these nonsense questions, like can I spray on my lawn,,,,,,lol
    • Kat Davis-Moran

Lol thanks, I see some of these questions and think okie dokie then lol have a great day
  • Michele

How long before you can plant in the area that has been sprayed
  • Cynthia

How close to our planted veggies can we spray this and have it not affect what we don't want to kill?
    • Kat Davis-Moran

If you spray directly on them it will kill, i would stay alittle was away, try it near something else as an experiment

• Cynthia

Right! "experiment"! Thanks!! The first time trying it, I was aiming to dig out the roots of ivy growing on my brother's house. A yard down into the soil I went to get to the "root of the problem" and still there was MORE root going down, down. But I was up to my armpit and after 3 days of going back at it, I had to leave my brother's. Before I left though, I used that recipe for soaking into the bottom of the hole & the last of the chopped roots. The whole gallon+ of the vinegar concoction I used over a whole day, then in the liquid puddle at the bottom I just piled back in the soil I'd dug out. Brother promises to let me know if it ever comes back!
    • Margie Towle

how to kill bindweed and poison ivy
  • Alberta Ryan

Will this solution kill the grass
  • Harold

Will this mixture kill or damage small shrubs?
  • Pamela Kennedy

Will this mixture kill frogs if any accidentally get sprayed, or if the weeds sit at the edge of a pond?
  • Rit22820254

Doesn't it do anything to the grass between. Regards
  • Nioka Weichman

Will this kill my flowers??
    • Melody Carter

Epson salts is not a salt and sometimes used as a fertilizer. Once the weeds get over the shock of a soap and vinegar bath in the sun, they will come back with a vengeance. If you must use this recipe, use regular salt, which may work better by dissolving it first by boiling it in the vinegar. I have not known this recipe to kill the roots of the weeds. I suppose the reason folks changed the recipe to
      Epson salts is because it dissolves easier.
  • Den13832048

Can you spray this where I have ground cover and different kinds of monkey grass?
  • Wahneta

How do you dissolve the epsom salt? It clogs up my sprayer.
  • Bert

will this natural weed killer kill iris roots
    I need something to get rid of iris roots
    • ROSE CLARK

iris have rizones, it is one thick root, a ryzone, and not deep, just pull or dig it out. i'm not sure that what you are talking about are iris, i have never heard of them being invasive.

• Kara

So need to spray directly on the weeds, not all over grass?

• Mary DiGiallonardo

Will it kill thistle weeds? I have those BAD in my backyard. I bought a bag of weed/feed from Walmart 2 years ago and it killed my lawn but grew this terrible Thistles. I can't get these things dead and gone,

someone please give me ideas!

HELP!

• Bra19348612

How close to your plants can this be sprayed? Will it leach into my beans? Is there a better or safer option for killing weeds in my vegetable garden?

• San33394560

can I use Shaklee dish detergent instead of dawn?

• Cynthia

The dish soap is the help the salt & vinegar cling to the vegetation. Shaklee dish soap should be fine but even better than dish soap would be Basic-H

• Susan Burg Pflederer

How long does it take before you see some results. (Sunny day, sprayed on walkway between bricks)

• Emily Stone

how long after using can you plant stuff

• Marilyn Betz Peterie

Will this kill my vegetables in garden if I spray the weeds ?

• Con16948256

Will this recipe help where there's poison ivy too?

• Sal30734548

Will this solution kill moss.

• Buc30091390

Will this work on poison ivy

• Kim29043560

I have a brick patio will the epsom salt harm bricks?

• Tami

Will it kill the surrounding plants?

• Lau32697271

Does this kill all living plant materials? Grass? I'd like to use it on the fence line and edging.

• Sue Easton

Does this work on broad leaf weeds as well?

• Amber Cole

Would this work on cedar stumps?

• Dawn

Does this have an effect on the grass surrounding the weeds?

• Jacquie

Yes! It will also kill the grass surrounding the weed.

• Kathy Sandoval

Will it kill my flowers if I spray around them.

• Teresa Moore

We just put in new grass. The weeds are popping up already! Will this hurt my new grass? I hate using hard chemicals.

• Teresa Moore

• Teresa Moore

• Teresa Moore

• Melissa Moon

This should kill just about any plant. Grass included. I doubt there is a way to kill weeds while saving the grass without using a chemical

• Teresa Moore

• Dls22670205

Will this hurt garden plants?

• Tin12007961

Will sea salt work in this mixture or just table salt?

• All33571334

Will it kill grass too!? I have more and nicer grass in my flower beds than the lawn!!! My husband mows the grass and has the clippings go into the garden!

• Pam Greer

I always heard epson salt was a natural fertilizer are you saying to use in the mixture or that you can use it?🤔

• Miranda Price

Will it hurt my rose bushes or my cactuses ?

• Chris Migut

Does it have to be dawn dish liquid?

• Kristina Lil'sis Sharp

Have you had any luck with this on thistle? I have several of them growing in my horse pasture. It does a number on their poor noses.

• Melody Carter

Why would I put a fertilizer in a concoction to kill vegetation? Epsom salt is not sodium. It is magnesium sulfate. The soap and vinegar should kill the tops in the hot sun, but the epson salt will fertilize the roots. If you want to give it a good chance of working long term, use canning salt, sodium chloride. Please research epsom salt as a fertilizer.

• Chu23272465

Amen melody .I see Epsom salts in these concoctions all the time. I always sprinkle Epsom salts on flowering vegetables and put some in the planting hole. It makes the plants bloom like crazy . Tomatoes and peppers usually. I guess it helps release the calcium in the soil. It definitely doesn't kill plants

• Jess

Round Up baby, .. the stronger the better. Who care about birth defects? Let the next generation fix their own problems just like we did.

• Judy Chandler

Can i just use epson salt and dawn dish soap and water

• Judy Chandler

Can i use just epsom salt and dawn dish soap and water

• Kat Davis-Moran

Nope, vinegar is an important ingredient, guess that is why there are recipes, lol

• Michelle

What about if it may rain,how much time do u need for it not to rain after spraying

• Renee Montella Mustard

How well does this mix up? Do the Epsom salts dissolve?

• Joanne murray

Can I use any dish detergent?

• Rhoda

does it kill the other plants and shrubs that share that space??

• Ron34090555

if used around a pond will it kill my fish

• Dana

Is this safe for bees...??

• Theresa DeCicco

How much does this cover in acres

• Ang42409766

does it kill the grass