Linda Meyer
Linda Meyer
  • Savannah, GA

What Kind of Plant is This?

Kalman LabovitzLinda MeyerSherrie S
+16

We transplanted 3 of these plants from my husband's parents home in Jacksonville along with a bunch of Bromiliads a few years ago. They were planted under my cherry tree here in Savannah. They have spread and are blooming now.
what kind of plant is this, gardening
  • Mary Insana

I don't know what it is but it is pretty and I wish I had some :)

• Carole Andersen

Swamp Lily. I've seen them hiking down here in SW Florida. Usually grows in and near very wet areas.

Exactly as Carole says. Swamp lilies are a type of crinum.

• Janice R

this looks similar to the cannalillies I have in my yard they will reproduce on their own each year

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

looks like it's related to my crinum lilies.

• Michele Darilek

I learned from the local nursery that it is called a spider lilly. It blooms once a year thrives in boggy conditions.

• Luis

Linda, I love your Swamp lilies to bad I can't have them up here in CT to cold.

• Sherrie S

Your plant looked somewhat like mine so I looked up swamp lily and saw my lily was a spider lily. I also learned it was a bog plant. I recently added a bog to my koi pond & now I know I can add these plants to the bog. I really must thank you for your posting @Linda Meyer.

• Harriet Tate

I have these in my yard and I asked everyone. Look up Spider lilies...there they will be!

• Sharon Clyatt

spider lily, my neighbor has them too:-)

• Tracey T

Wow, these are beautiful!

• Kathy C

I don't know but they are GORGEOUS!

• Linda Meyer

There seems to be 2 thoughts on the name of this plant- Swamp Lily or Spider Lily. I have looked them both up and I believe tit is a Swamp Lily. Thanks all!!!

• Peg

it's native to Florida. I've been asking for some seeds for a while, they grow easy. I wanted to plant them along my stream as an annual as an experiment. Otherwise just keep it as a houseplant like an amarylis.

• Linda Meyer

Peg- how do I harvest the seeds correctly? I have several flower stalks that have gone by. Perhaps I can send you some.

• Peg

Linda, don't cut the flower stems off after all flowering is done. Keep an eye on where the buds were. If they were pollinated, you'll see the neck of the stem starting to swell. It is developing a seed pod. Allow it to completely grow then start to ripen and turn light brown and crispy dry. This is when the seeds can be harvested.

• Sherrie S

@Linda Meyer I feel sure you have the Swamp Lily because I have the Spider Lily and although it does resemble your Swamp Lily it is not the same plant. They are both very pretty.

• Linda Meyer

Peg- I will do what you say and wait until the pod has matured.

• Kalman Labovitz

Sorry I cannot help but it is a beautiful flower