Lewis
Lewis
  • Cary, NC

Annual palm tree grows back in the middle of summer

Debbie PolsonLewis360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+1

We live in Cary NC,zone 7. Last year we purchased two 3 -4 foot palm trees at lowes home center. As expected they died over the winter. We left the planters outside. Last week I noticed some growth from the nub of One of the "dead" trees. Two short green stalks. I transplanted it to a larger pot and it continues to grow. it wasn't supposed to. Would love to know why? Any ideas. The tree was left outside near the front stairs. Fairly well shielded by the stairs and other shrubs..

Plants sometimes exhibit a remarkable will to live. Sounds like you are seeing that with your palm.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

protected space and a mild winter combined with good genes= living plant!

• Lewis

Douglas and Donna. ...thank you..

• Debbie Polson

I agree with Doug. I have a pine tree that my mother-in-law gave me when my dad died. I live in western CO with a very harsh climate. It apparently died after two years in the ground. This spring it had green shoots coming out of the "dead" branches. I call it the Lazarus tree.