Jim G
Jim G
  • Suffolk, VA

Yellow & Orange Cucumbers, short or round(sh)!

Carolyn FineJim GMarilyn
+11

So my Cucumbers starting blooming and growing fruit and we were excited, vines overtaking the Eggplant, Tomatoes and Zucchini. THEN...1) Cut back vines, moved some to a trellis for growing vertically. * Cucumbers STOPPED fruiting and vines started turning yellow and dying. Only thing growing NOW are small or round yellow or Orange fruit!??? I DID spray RoundUp in the woods behind the entire yard. ??
This is WHAT Cucumbers looked like!
This is WHAT Cucumbers looked like!
This is what Cucumbers look like with all dead, yellowing vines and Yellow cukes and yellow and ROUND cukes growing!???
Cuke Leaves YELOWING and holes.....   this is what they all started looking like after a few weeks of giving some cukes!!!
Cuke Leaves YELOWING and holes..... this is what they all started looking like after a few weeks of giving some cukes!!!
Threw the Orange round ones in the woods, these are smaller yellow ones, but NOT green and we are wondering if ROUNDUP in the WOODS could be an issue with the cukes in our yard?
  • Paula Spiekerman

Maybe the weight of your fruit is causing the vines to hang on your trellis? This is like a crimp in a hose and causes the cutting off of nutrition from the roots. The little swirly anchors that grow from the vines also grow around adjacent stems if allowed. They swirl so tightly that the cause the same crimping in the vine. It's happened to me :O) I sacrificed a lot of cucumbers learning this lesson.

• Jim G

Could be Paula..... They actually were growing GREAT till I put that trellis in. trying the vertical growing I saw online..... but even the ones that grew across to the tomatoes and all went bad....

• Paula Spiekerman

When I responded there was only one photo. Now that there are four, it is definitely not crimping. I may be a fungus but more likely the Roundup. That last pic shows that they were picked before maturity but, I'm not sure that they would have survived to maturity. Round up is some nasty stuff. I wouldn't use it anywhere near something I planned on eating.

• Jim G

pics;;; :) I was trying to upload and instead kept submitting. Final pic is the small cukes. Issue w/ these are they have been on the vine for about a week with no growth. just staying there... we don't plan on eating these, just wanted to post the pic. I'll have to research and see how far away the use of roundup should be from plants we are eating...... it did kill EVERYTHING behind the fence though!

• Nancy Hand

Downy mildew is a problem on cuk's. The cool, rainy days of spring and early fall will bring it out. Spray with a fungicide. :)

• Jim G

ok, will do -thanks. Have to hit the gardening center! Is fungicide needed frequently enough that I should keep extra in my garage?

• Phillip Williams

Nancy may have hit on the answer. (BTW, I actually know where Enigma, GA is located! I bought an antique truck there many years ago.) My cucumbers look exactly the same. They went downhill so fast that I just pulled them up and got rid of the plants. Now that things have dried up a bit it shouldn't be a big problem. Not sure that spraying them once they are really infected would be helpful. I use Ortho Daconil 2787 as a fungicide, primarily for Roses. However, it is approved for use on cucurbits for control of any fungi and mold, with no delay in harvest time. That is, you can spray the plants and harvest the vegetables on the same day. Be aware that Daconil can be harmful to fish and other aquatic organisms, so use around your fish pond is probably not a great option. The label calls for 2 teaspoons of the product diluted with a gallon of water for cucumbers. Remember, ALWAYS READ the LABEL for any product you are using. Companies make a living selling products that work and they generally know best how to use them. And lastly, as we all know, if a little is good then more is NOT better!

• Cathie Green

Our two cuke plants are overachieving. They both are producing huge yellow or orange cukes if we don't hurry to pick them. They're very mild, so are great to eat. Seeds a little tough, though. Don't throw them out until you try them.

• Jim G

Cathie: I did throw out the yellow and orange as we were nervous, and also cut back the leaves that were yellowing and looking diseased, and a couple vines are growing green healthy leaves again, so I'm HOPING for potentially more fruit before the ens of the summer! (Also going out tonight to get that Magnesium to spray on the leaves!)

• Marilyn

Roundup is so fine if there any kind of breeze at at when spraying it will travel for a long way. There was a vineyard in Yakima WA that had someone spray almost a mile away and it ended up killing the vineyard.

• Jim G

I know, I wonder / worry now......

• Carolyn Fine

Try again next year let the vines climb the trellis on their own don't help ( much). Watch for baby cukes and follow the progress. Cukes also need a lot of water.

• Jim G

@Carolyn Fine Thank you Carolyn. We should be expanding the Cuke garden out today, in prep for next spring! So do you start the cuke seeds right in the garden? Last year was our 1st experiment and we started them inside and they grew really well inside and then transplanted them. They took off for a month or so.