Marilyn
Marilyn
  • Spokane, WA

Does Anyone Know What Kind of Bees These Are?

Theresa ShautLynne WebbRuby77
+14

They are thick around my place but haven't gotten sting by one yet. They are black with white rings at the head and tail and look like a bee.
does anyone know what kind of bees these are, pets animals
  • Catherine Smith

I'm having a hard time seeing the detail on that little guy. Try this website, it gives more information and pictures which may help you identify him. http://www.adkinsbeeremoval.com/bee-id-chart.php

• Theresa Shaut

Kinda looks like a hornet, bottom of this link: http://www.thebeehunter.com/types-of-bees.html

• Kathy Northup

looks like a bald-face hornet. We had those in Oregon.... Can be quite aggressive.

• Marilyn

It's black with white stripes at the bottom and top not in the middle. They haven't tried stinging me yet and there are lots around with everything i try to do. They were sitting on turkey poo and I don't see other bees doing that. I will check out the links, thanks.

• Marilyn

It looks like hornet, been looking for any nests for them as well as yellow jackets. They are both horrible this year, can't hardly even sit on the deck right now for very long.

• Marilyn

I do believe you are right Kathy. The bald face can either have the stripes on the top and bottom or in the middle. Will be much more careful since I guess they have a wicked sting. The things that I thought were yellow jackets are paper wasps. Thanks all.

• Magpye

i live in California and I'm guessing that is a bumble bee. I've heard they don't sting. I've never been stung by one and they usually are thick in my garden, too. But I haven't seen any this year. I think it's either the higher temperatures or the UV rays here, but it's killed almost everything in the garden and none of the usual insects are around, either, except wasps.

• Jim G

Marilyn: IRONICALLY, I saw TWO like that yesterday - actually made mention to my wife, but these two had YELLOW stripes..... one each in my Plumerias... I shooed the 1st away as it looked like it was laying in the leaves..... then when I saw the 2nd I went to shoo it away and realized the are probably not hurting the plumeria, but MAY be helping!

• Laura

It's a bald face hornet which is a type of yellow jacket. These insects are very aggressive. They bite and can sting multiple times. They do not die after they sting like a honey bee.

• Jim G

Laura: any help to the plants or just try and kill them?

• Laura

Jim G.: No help to your garden. Kill them and be very careful when doing so!

• Ruby77

Laura is correct I think. Their sting is very painful. They are not your friends. See if you can find a nest that looks like a paper cone and if so have an exterminator come to get rid of them. We had three nests in our trees and they attacked my son while he was weed whacking underneath. Not good

• Ruby77

Oh and I'm not a bee hater...in fact we raise honey bees and they don't like honey bees either.

• Ruby77

Oh almost forgot the most important part! They bored a hole right thru my siding and into my drywall in the laundry room! Went in to do laundry and encountered bees...we had to knock out the nest and re do the drywall. Not good!

• Lynne Webb

I think they are a type of hornet and they deliver a nasty sting that hurts like the dickens!

• Lynne Webb

That's what I was going to say but I was afraid 'baldfaced' hornet was a local term. They will even attack at night if there is outside lighting to direct them. 20+ years ago the family was gathered on an outside covered porch. One came from nowhere and hit my neck just slightly (I knocked it aside immediately). The pain was awful and lingering.