Sharon H
Sharon H
  • Winamac, IN
Asked on Jun 12, 2012

Can someone identify this voracious weed?!

Kathy MilamDouglas HuntSharon H
+3

This very invasive weed has had my dad digging for weeks trying to eradicate it from his garden in Indiana. At first glance it looks like ragweed, but it is not; the roots run through the ground and the stem has multiple leaves going down it. It does not seem to bloom and reached a height of about 18 inches.
can someone identify this voracious weed, gardening
  • 3po3

It looks kind of like the flat parsley that grows wild in my yard. But the leaves are bigger. You might be able to get some ID help here: http://weedid.wisc.edu/ca/weedid.php

The leaf looks like a type of artemisia to me.

• Erica Glasener

I have this same weed and just pull it out when it appears every spring. Fortunately it seems to just be in one area. I agree with Doug it is a type of Artemesia. For confirmation take a sample to your Cooperative Extension Service, they will no doubt be familiar with it.

• Sharon H

I have looked this up; I agree with you on the identification. Dad has worked and worked to try to eradicate it from his garden. It covered a rather large area as he had not worked in the garden much the year before. Thanks for the help!

Good luck to your father. Here's hoping he gets rid of it.

• Kathy Milam

Definitely an Artemisia. Looks like either Mugwort or Wormwood. It would be easier to tell if you had a picture of the plant. Both are valuable for different properties, and are like growing money if you have a New Age or Pagan shop in your area! Just use caution handling if you're pregnant. Like don't handle at all.