Mirror, Mirror From My Wood Pile!

I bought a $5 mirror from the flea market and wanted to give it a rustic look for the cottage. The glue is still drying!
I found a variety of logs in our wood pile. I had my husband cut them into thin slices. On a previous post, someone had mentioned an issue about bringing wood in the house, because of insects and mites. So, I listened to the sage advice and baked the pieces at 275' for 2 hours to get rid of any unwanted visitors. Then, I put several coats of polyurethane on the logs. I dried them on pizza boxes.
I put a great big piece of chart paper on the table and used a cardboard cut-out for my mirror pattern.
Once I was happy with the pattern, I placed another table beside me to start assembling the mirror.
My husband cut an OSB board the same size as my template.
We measured to make sure it was centered. Then we began by gluing the mirror down with construction adhesive. It's much easier to do with 2 pairs of hands.
My husband applied the adhesive for me, it's like icing a cake.
I started by placing the edge pieces first. Then I continued adding more.
Let it dry.

• Mirror
  • Construction adhesive
  • Gloves

• Ellen

Did you age the wood first?

• Regina Kruger Cardoso

Awesome project!!!!! Also you could glue the wood directly on the mirror, if you want something lighter.

You cand find really heavy duty mirrors at Habitat of Humanity from old bathrooms, they are the best.

• Emmawilliams1

What was the sage advice....Are you referring to sage spices to kill termites etc. on wood? thanks and cute mirror1

• Kitty McCarty

Did you use construction adhesive for mirror--not mirror adhesive???

• Kitty McCarty

Yvette, thanks for confirming what I thought but since I've never glued a mirror I chose to let it drop. I really try not to be negative about someone's posts. Hopefully other DIYers will use the correct adhesive...especially on such a great project.

• 4554290

I'm happy to report that our mirror has finally found it's way to the cottage and the clutter is out of the kitchen! I'm eager to make a Christmas wreath with wood slices next.

, My husband pre drilled the holes then screwed it directly into the studs This baby s not going anywhere
  • EerieLady

I really love this and hope to try it at my mountain cabin! Thanks.