Joyce Jones
Joyce Jones
  • Waltham, MA

Yellowed spot on a white 100% cotton comforter

GrandmaquiltsWyvonda MarcumMelissa
+4

There was a stain on my comforter, origin unknown. I spot treated it with pure laundry bleach. It immediately turned to a dark mustard yellow. I continued to treat that section and very slowly the spot started to fade. I left it for about 4 hours. When I returned the spot was gone, but the area of the white cotton had changed to an overall very, very light yellow which is noticeable against the rest of the white cotton comforter. I rinsed out and washed that area, but the discoloration persists. Can anyone tell me how to get that discoloration out and to return my comforter back to it's original pure white "sheet" cotton look?
  • Shari

You could try wetting the yellowed spot with hydrogen peroxide OR lemon juice (not both at the same time) and laying it out in the sun to dry. Another thought I had was trying Rit color remover, which is found with the Rit dye used to dye fabrics. Also, on another HomeTalk thread about a week ago, a member asked how to get a tomato sauce stain out of a white shirt and one of the suggestions was Zout. The poster of the question left a follow up comment saying she was successful getting the stain out with the Zout. I had never heard of this product but I found it at Walmart with the laundry products and picked up a bottle a few days ago. Can't wait to try it on my next tough stain!

• Comet

If you absolutely can't get it out--and you could be making it harder with each treatment as the fabric will break down and get more "porous" with each---try a very dilute WHITE FABRIC PAINT to cover it up. You can start with just a dab and don't gob it on --work from the center of the stained area to the edges feathering as you go--you can always add a layer or two more if needed. The initial bleach may have reacted with some of the fabric "finishes" they put on these sorts of things---

• Doris rhoden

I would try some hydrogen proxide

• Sherry Fisher

I've had great luck removing stains with Murphy's Oil Soap. If all else fails, embroider a few flowers over the spot. Good luck.

• Melissa

Have you tried whitening toothpaste? I had a stain on a white sweater that wouldn't come out. I wet the area, applied a bit of the toothpaste, rubbed it in and let it sit for a few hours. It washed right out.

• Wyvonda Marcum

I would try wetting it and then sprinkling Barkeepers Friend on it; let it soak for a few minutes. Check it: if it isn't gone repeat! Do not rub!!

• Grandmaquilts

I was given this tip when my daughter spilled her communion grape juice on her white eyelet dress. Put the stained item on something the water can flow thru. I use the never-used rack out of my microwave- Pour boiling water on the stain from as high as possible. There is something about the force of the hot water pushing the stain thru and away. Sounds crazy but it works for me