Seabreezn
Seabreezn
  • South Portland, ME

Kitchen counter top ideas

SeabreeznConnie HogeSylvia
+6

I'm looking for reasonably priced kitchen counter top replacements - these 4" tiles can drive you nutz ! Any ideas other than "Big Box store counter tops " would be appreciated ..Thanks Seabreezn
  • Anascreations4u

Hi! Why can't you just put up a form and fill it up about 1 2 inches of concrete right over your old tiles and stain and seal it!! I have seen this done and it looks awesome!!

• Kimberly Barney

You can have a lightweight topper made for the countertop that would be attached on top of the tile countertop. You may wish to check out a salvage store, Homes for Humanity Restore, or Craigslist in your area for a new or new to you countertop. My husband and I have had good luck in finding such items for our income property business.

• Seabreezn

Thank you Anascreation4u however the weight would be an issue in my 1884 house ( I do love the look tho !) --Thank you Kimberly as well . I do go to the restore often (yrs. !) but , so far no luck yet . My kitchen sink stands in a small surround , about 4" on one side and 10"'s on the other - with that I'm thinking seaglass would look great but , it's the other counters ..ugh ! The old tiles should also just be removed so , I'm looking to relace the counter tops completely . Thanks again for your time !

• Gu3mom

Butcher block might be cost-prohibitive but how about reclaimed wood, well sealed to be sanitary and for durability?

• Scottie Vosburgh

we covered our old countertops with Kraft paper torn in sections and then crinkled. we used Polyacrylic like wallpaper paste and it worked wonderfully. the end result looked like tobacco or leather. I'm not sure what it would look like over tile though...possibly you could level it put somehow first?

• Scottie Vosburgh

*out (sorry answering on an iPhone doesn't work out so well...)

• Sylvia

we went to a bldg salvage store and found some thick (1.25")butcher block wood that was used in tractor trailers for the flooring. they are rather heavy as the purpose is to provide some wt/stability to the huge trailers. Anyway, we sanded them meticulously (a neighbor planed some of them for us) and they have made astonishingly beautiful countertops in both the bathroom and kitchen (as well as stair treads on the steps)after using indoor/outdoor polyurethane. Very cheap.

• Connie Hoge

concrete

• Seabreezn

Still working on it ! Thank you for ALL ideas !! Love the idea of reusing wood , its a high priced commodity here . But , you never know ...