Louise
Louise

Any ideas on what I can use to replace this monkey grass

Rose LPhillip WilliamsNancy May
+4

alongside my steps? It's been here many years, as well as in many other places in the yard, but I'm de-jungling so might want to replace this, too. As you can see, there's a brown spot next to it in the first photo where a lot of it used to live until I discovered how easily RoundUp kills it. IF I replace it at the steps, I'd want something a) that won't spread all over the place, and b) something that will look nice all year long. This area gets nearly no sun.
any ideas on what i can use to replace this monkey grass, gardening, landscape

Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold' would look beautiful running along your steps but I'm afraid it's not evergreen.

• Peg

Are the steps in the sun most of the day or has more shade? It looks like a narrow set of steps, so I personally would not put anything that will take away form the space. The left pic also looks like there's a bit of a slope. Growing plants that will creep and fill that slope will work. If the soil is moist and cool enough, maybe a variegated ajuga will creep and fill the slope. Like Doug suggest, if it's shady, add some gold hakonechloa grass or other variegated grass to add assorted color and texture.

• Louise

The steps do look very narrow here. Hadn't noticed it before. But they're 3 ft wide. The monkey grass falling over them reduces their appearance. The area gets nearly no sun. I just removed monkey grass from the now-brown area that slopes and really don't want to fill it with anything that might made a good hiding place for snakes. Part of the reason for the de-jungling of my yard is to make it less crowded with hiding places for unwanted slithery creatures. I don't see snakes, but they're all over the news these days and so not WANT to see any, so I want the yard to be as inhospitable to them as possible. I don't want a creeper or spreader plant and want one to stay green all year.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Hellebore (Lenten Rose) would look lovely and give you some bloom in the dreary colder months. It gets tall enough that snakes won't take shelter underneath. You would need to back it off about 2 ft from the steps though and use some pinestraw, mulch or something like that to help cover the ground.

• Nancy May

HOSTAS lovely green leaves small white flowers,Does great in the shade.

• Phillip Williams

A variegated Liriope would probably do nicely. It doesn't spread aggressively, but "bunches". You can divide these every 2-3 years to extend the border if desired. The foliage is very attractive and the lavender bloom spikes in the summer a very pretty.

• Rose L

Larger rocks would work too!