Mary
Mary
  • Ridgely, MD

Roses

MaryCatherine SmithDouglas Hunt
+7

Hello
I just bought the end out clearance of Carpet roses "Scarlet and climbing roses New Dawn. I'm told it's not too late to plant, does anyone have any tipbit info on these particular roses? Thank you!

I don't know anything about carpet roses, but you have a winner in your "New Dawn." It has long been held to be the standard against which other climbers are judged. It will get big, however, so give it plenty of space, in a spot with plenty of sun and good air circulation.

• Mary

Thank you again Mr. Hunt.............your a treasure of information!!!! :-)

• Mary

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!! Holes are invading my rose leaves and NO buds......I've tried sprinkling epson salt around the area of the plants.........but to no prevail. :'-(((((((((((

I'm not surprised there are no buds on your roses yet, Mary. They were end-of-season plants and were probably a little tired. Epsom salts will not replace a good complete rose food. It's hard to know what's eating the leaves without seeing a photo, but a good blast of water will take care of a lot of pests. If that doesn't work, try a commercial insecticidal soap.

• Catherine Smith

Douglas is correct. Sounds like aphids or thrips, which love roses. Try interplanting some garlic or dill in and around your roses, they act as a natural repellant. And insecticidal soap in the mean time will take care of a lot those pests. And patience, patience, patience, my dear. Roses take a least 3 years to really become established. You may get some bloom next year, but given time they will bloom like crazy. I use compost and worm castings for fertilizer for my roses, since I garden organically. I just bought 2 of those carpet roses, they looked interesting and I wanted something to put in front of my knockouts. Same deal, 1st year they sleep, 2nd year they creep, 3rd year they leap! So make sure you leave them room to spread and grow.

• Mary

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP AGAIN! Just this past spring I've planted (2) medium size Cypress bushes.............First, the one died 3 weeks ago and now the other one! I've done everything possible, is there some type of "blite" going around in the Eastern Shore area of Maryland that's killing off Leyland Cypresses..................Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!

@Mary Not that I know of, Mary, but there are a number of diseases that Leyland Cypress are susceptible to in general.

• Mary

P.S. Or other evergreen bushes?

• Catherine Smith

@Mary do check with your local extension office for this one. There is in fact a "blight" problem with Leyland's in our area of MD and VA. The agent should be able to help you come up with some solutions to your problem.

• Mary

Thank you very much!!!