Mary
Mary
  • Ridgely, MD

Flies

MarySuS137
+3

Is it me or are we having a OVER LOAD of flies this year???? :-)
  • Comet

OMG I thought it was just ME--yes! We live where it rained for ever and now had extreme heat. Our neighbors bring their horses to "visit" from where they are boarded and so every time they come up we get TONS of flies. AND we live in cow country! BUT this year!!!!!! We have replaced our fly strips endlessly and tried a new "prettier" version----save your money it did not work at ALL. Nor did the odd hanging "box" fly trap we tried. Plain old sticky fly strips work the best. HINT--to get these down use a plastic bag and go around the bottom so as to not be incontact with the eeeeew. And sometimes they try to curl back up---use something small but weighty on the cardboard casing to make it hang and unfurl properly. Also we decided to use tiny cup hooks and just make a perm spot for strips as we were ending up with many tiny holes in the ceiling. Rather have one dedicated out of the way hole than a ton of random ones. Makes it easier to just loop the end over in any case--less chance of the sticky part grabbing you! If you have a BIG space the farm stores like Tractor Supply sell WIDE and LONG--like 12"by 6' ---ones for barns and sheds etc. Or if you need to get into an older not-used house or building----stick a few up a day or so before you need to get in there. And we DO have screens etc!

• Mary

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Comet your hilarious........I too live surrounded by farm area here at the Eastern shore area in Maryland and the farmers really laid some heavy manure out this year.................I guess a higher octane!!!! ;-) Thanks for your info........Yes we have a Tractor supply store and I'll check out the huge rug size fly strips!!! Take Care......

• S137

We have chickens and goats; pigs last year. We found that the Rescue! Disposable Fly Trap does a wonderful job at reducing the numbers of flies. It is a plastic bag with powdered "bait." All you need to do is add water and hang the trap. It does an amazing job of attracting flies. Learn more here: http://www.muddyhillfarm.com/blog/2012/07/11/muddy-hill-farm-fly-knockdown-test-results/

• Mary

Thank you as well S137............I'll check that as well

• Su

Check this out.....haven't tried it myself yet. http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=water%20bag%20for%20flies

• Mary

WOW!!!!!! Thanks Su :-)