Restyled Bombay Console Table

NOTE: This is not an antique and it had a lot of deep scratches in the top because the pine is so soft. I had to patch several deep scratches with putty before priming the top.
I fell in love with with the raised carving on this table, as well as its unique shape. But the finish was dated and reminded me of the 70's and I wanted to give it a new, chic loo
As shown on Craigslist ad. Deep scratches
I deglossed by wiping down the table with Liquid Sandpaper then lightly sanded the entire table. I then thoroughly cleaned with a solution of Dawn, white vinegar and water and let it dry. Although not visible in the before photo, the table top had a lot of deep scratches so the it really had to be painted. I used water putty to fill in the scratches and dents and sanded before priming the entire table.
After the table was completely dry, I applied Zinsser primer with a foam brush and let dry
Top primed and painted with Behr Heavy Cream
After primer was dry, I went back and filled in the more visible scratches again with wood putty; let dry, sanded down and primed again.
When the second layer of primer was dry, I brushed on my home made chalk paint of Behr Rustic Taupe mixed with Calcium Carbonate. I lightly sanded with 220 grit sandpaper between each dry coat
Top and bouquet painted in Behr Heavy Cream
I thought I would paint the top a contrasting color from the base. I used Behr's 'Heavy Cream' (also mixed with Calcium Carbonate) for the top and carved bouquet.
Top, bouquet & edge trim painted Heavy Cream
I used an artist's brush to paint the bouquet and edge details in Behr Heavy Cream; the same color as the table top
At this angle, you can see the top and how it contrasts with the lower part of the table. Because of the unique shape of the top, it looked too much like a cartoon piece to me so I decided to make the piece more uniform by painting over the cream top with the Rustic Taupe.
After painting the top in Rustic Taupe
The entire table has been painted and sanded smooth with 220 grit paper. I used a duster attachment on my canister vacuum to gather most of the dust, then a lightly moistened microfiber cloth to wipe even more dust off.
Glazing over the bouquet
To blur the two paint colors and make the table more cohesive, I used a mix of glazing medium with Behr Espresso Beans to create an antiqued look. I brushed on a thin layer of glaze, working a small area at a time, then pulled the glaze off using a moistened lint-free rag. I kept two wet rags near me, as they fill up with glaze fast. You don't want a rag full of glaze, as it won't pull off the glaze uniformly.
More glazing across the front apron of the table and down the legs
The lower part of the table - completely glazed
Letting the glaze dry in the basement. We still have that groovy 70's moss green tile and brown paneling...
Finding a blank wall to stage with accessories for sale is not an easy task in this house!
First crack at staging... not quite right
Better...
Let's see how it looks with a larger picture...
Finally - a photo my husband approves :)
Please take a look at my next post, where I restyle a tradtional tapestry settee in a modern, rustic look!
http://www.hometalk.com/19307989/rustic-restyled-settee

• Paint - Behr Rustic Taupe  (Home Depot)
  • Paint - Behr Heavy Cream  (Home Depot)
  • Paint - Behr Espresso Beans  (Home Depot)

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/ChairishedFurnishing/

• Jade

Where do you get calcium carbonate? Is there a "set" formula for mixing or just hit miss and practice til you get it right? What is right? Thanks so much for answers. Your table is beautiful! Just starting to DIY at a late age and stage. Lol

• Barb in Texas

@Sharon Renfroe Bruce, have you ever made your own chalk paint with baking soda? I'd be interested in how it turned out for you.

• S

Why did you bother using liquid sandpaper first, when you sanded & washed it off?

• Helen

What does the Calcium carbonate do ??

• Lor7903690

Very beautifully executed, you just need to be created and Voila, a masterpiece, wish I could be like you

• Bernice H

oohhhhhh this is sooo pretty. Personally i liked it before the glaze, but that is just me, i do like it either way. Very nicely done!

• Chairished Furnishings

Thank you! Yes, it is a matter of taste on the glaze. Very different look between the two. Didn't take long to sell though so I'm happy! 😊

• 807288

Gorgeous!!!