B.J. B
B.J. B
  • Lexington, MI

How do you remove the dried lavender buds from the plant?

Janet FB.J. BJo N
+7

I have been growing lavender for several years and usually just dry the entire stem. I would like to make sachets with just the lavender buds. I don't know an efficient way to remove the buds from the stem. After I cut the lavender I let it dry for several weeks. I tried rubbing them off and cutting them but I keep getting little bits of stems. I wouldn't mind this but the pieces of stem poke through the sachets. Can anyone help me?
q how do you remove the dried lavender buds from the plant, gardening
  • Kayren Johnson

I only grew it once & I just ran my finger & thumb down the stem to remove them before drying, like I did with rosemary, then just dried on a flat surface, turnin it every day or so.

• Michelle W

Hi If you cut the lavender with fairly long stalks then tie them together, put the tops into a paper bag and hang them up to dry in a nice dry place. The flower heads should fall off into the bag, sometimes you need to give them a good shake and any that don't you can pick off by hand. This also works with other plants to gather seeds. I hope this is of some help. Here is the perfect webpage for you http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/2012/06/growing-and-drying-lavender.html

• B.J. B

Thank you! This looks like a perfect solution. I'm going to try it.

• Jo N

have you tried making wands? I've done them before, takes a little practice till you get the hang of it. http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy.com/how-to-make-lavender-wands.html

• B.J. B

I've never heard of wands but they sound really interesting. How exactly do you make them?

• Jo N

Please look at the above link that I posted. It shows you how to make them. If you get really adventurous and you don't use any chemicals on your lavender try using it for tea and cooking. There are a lot of recipes out there. One of my favorites is iced tea.

• B.J. B

Thank you Jo N!

• Janet F

I cut the stems, bind them together with rubber bands in bunches and let them dry outside thoroughly. Then I place the bunch in a plastic bag and knead the heads or roll them on a hard surface. If the lavender is dry enough the buds will fall off the stems. I was taught in my lavender class to place them in a linen towel and roll them on a hard surface but I found they still stuck to the towel.

• B.J. B

Thank you. I've already got my lavender bunched and drying so I'm going to try this.

• Janet F

Another plus of this method is you just remove the now empty stems and close the zip lock bag and you have storage!