The Redesign Habit
The Redesign Habit
  • San Diego, CA

Bridal Party Favors!

If you are know someone who is getting married and would like to give them a fun little gift, this is the project for you! It's inexpensive, fun to do, and can be made to go with any color scheme or theme! It's also totally personal because you are going to make it to match whatever their wedding colors are! This would be a great shower gift so the bride and her ladies can use them at a bachelorette
Plastic wine glasses
Plastic wine glasses
I went looking for disposable wine glasses. I found these at a local dollar store. You could use real glass but if you can find the plastic, I recommend that so you don't have to worry about breakage during transport or use.
Project supplies
Project supplies
Wash your glasses and allow them to dry thoroughly. Use a soft cloth to dry them to avoid water marks. Get all your supplies ready and have them at hand.
Painted glasses
Painted glasses
Once your glasses are completely dry, you will paint your glasses. The idea is to paint the top part of the glass to mimic the neckline of a dress. This process will take at least two coats of paint,if not three. Hold your painted glass up to the light to make sure you can't see through the paint. Also run your paint color down the stem of your glass so you will have a nice finished look when you are through decorating your glasses.
Mostly compete glass
Mostly compete glass
After your paint has dried, you can start decorating your glasses. Obviously there are many different ways you can do this. I used ribbon to go around the top of the dress and a glass jewel in the neckline. A hot glue gun worked well to hold them on. I then started adding the skirt. For this I used netting and started winding it around and gluing it on.
I kept adding netting to the skirt until I got the fullness that I wanted. If you don't want to hot glue the netting and you are completely with needle and thread, you could use those and draw the top of the netting tightly around the glass and then maybe just a drop or two of glue to hold it all in place.
Finished glasses
Finished glasses
Once everything is glued on and dry, you will probably need to pull some dried glue off the glasses where it has pushed out from under your ribbon and netting. Use extra ribbon to go around the top of your skirts or a small, narrow piece of netting so that you have a nice finished edge.
All done and cleaned up!
All done and cleaned up!
Match your bridesmaid's dress color as close as you can to the actual wedding colors and then of course white or ivory for your bride's special glass. I made these for my daughter's bridal party for her wedding that was in June. The girls' loved them
Happy bridal party!
Happy bridal party!

• Plastic wine glasses  (local dollar store)
  • Acrylic Paint  (Michael's)
  • Ribbon, netting, and jewels  (Michael's)
The Redesign Habit

• Nancy Sick

Can this be done with glass glasses?

• The Redesign Habit

Sure you could do it with glass. Just make sure you use paint that is specific to glass to get the best coverage. We just chose plastic for logistics and not having to worry about breakage when transporting them, etc. Have fun!

• Gail

Does acrylic paint work on glass instead of plastic wine goblets?

• Judy Brannon

Also when using glass and acrylic paint, you can bake the glass when done to help the paint set. Place painted glass NOT with the fabric or ribbon on it yet...in cold oven. Turn on to 350 and let back for half hour. Shut off oven and let cool completely before removing. This will only work with glass, and it is best to use paint made for glass. Some kinds are dishwasher safe.

• Tammy

Can i use chalk glass paint??

• The Redesign Habit

Hi there. I've never tried that but if it's for glass, I don't see why not. Let me know if you try it! :)