Margaret Dillard
Margaret Dillard
  • Land O Lakes, FL

How can I remove the smoke smell from a wooden dresser?

Larissa ~ Prodigal PiecesMargaret DillardJewls H
+10

I purchased a three drawer painted wooden dresser today at an estate sale for just $20.00. It has three dove-tail drawers. How do I remove stale smoke odor?
  • KMS Woodworks

This question has come up before here on HT. The application of baking soda has been one of the more effective remedies. That and airing them out in some strong sunshine.

• White Oak Studio Designs

Time, fresh air/sunshine and paint can help too. I've found that I've used all the tricks and then once painted much of the smell is gone. When a piece is VERY bad, I tend to use Zinsser primer as a base coat and that seems to encapsulate the smells. I'll then put some kind of "freshener" in this piece as well. A little dish of lavender, cedar, or in the worst of worst cases essential oils to "mask" smells. Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SWMichigan Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolioof chalk painted work)

• Kerrin

If it is in the drawers, cedar chips and/or newspaper helps absorb the odor.

• Jo Ann Miller

you can put newspapers in the drawers and it will absorb odors. I just left a nice smelling bar of soap in some drawers of an antique dresser and it helped.

• Margaret Dillard

Thanks everyone for your solutions.......I'll add baking soda to the kitty litter and bring the dresser outside in the Florida sunshine TODAY!

• Linda Stone

I've posted this before and got the response that it was too expensive, but coffee works too. I keep the packets of coffee we get in hotels. Just tear open and place in a bowl in your car. The coffee absorbs smells.

• Margaret Dillard

Thank you for responding.

• Sherrie

You can buy deactivated charcoal. But you have to clean it if there has been a smoker around it it because cigarettes leave a yellow residue. You have to remove the source of the oder. . Soap is all you need. But someone used vinegar and soap set it out in the sunshine and said it was gone from there wood furniture, I would try cleaning it and then sunshine.

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

I've heard dryer sheets work wonders, too!

• Margaret Dillard

Thanks for all the help I've received. Tomorrow it will be cleaned and set out in the sun.

• Jewls H

Coffee grounds. I used it in an old wardrobe, I had to do something, the old thing smelled of moth balls( yuk) Took some time, but now I can use it and I'd rather smell coffee on my shirts, then mothballs any day!!

• Margaret Dillard

Thank for all the help. While I was waiting for your answers, I tried my own idea. It worked so I'll share that one with you. I have two cats, so I poured some cat litter in all the drawers and on the top of the dresser. I did set it out in the sun for several hours. The odor is gone!!!

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Yep, it works like a charm. Sun does wonders for all sorts of things!! When we cloth diapered our kids, all I had to do was hang the diapers in the sun and the stain would vanish. :o)