Sandy Lueker
Sandy Lueker
  • Owosso, MI

Hydrangea not blooming

Nichter's Home Services CorpFrankie LaneySandy Lueker
+5

I have a beautiful Hydrangea plant by my side steps but it isn't blooming...anyone have any idea why?
  • Faye

Do you cut it back , if so don't , the blooms for the following yr are already in the stems..I will post a picture of mine and they are loaded.

• Sandy Lueker

I do not cut it back...I have 3 of them and none of them are blooming...I don't know if I should be feeding them or putting something in the soil? I had one that had 2 pink blooms on it one year and that was it....

What type of hydrangea are they? If they are ones that came from a grocery store or florist and you then planted them in the ground, they are probably a type that bloom on old wood and your winters are too cold for the blooms to make it through.

• Sandy Lueker

I bought them off QVC several years ago and they said they would withstand Michigan winters...I don't cut them back and they always come up nice every year...they just don't bloom...

• Catherine Smith

Have you checked the soil ph? Hydrangeas are acid lovers and sometimes need an extra "boost" to produce.

• Sandy Lueker

Thats what I was wondering...what would I put on them to give them a boost?

• Frankie Laney

I think Douglas and Catherine are on the right track. I would work in some good compost and check the ph as Catherine said. Also, what kind of fertilizer are you using? I use an organic one. Good luck with them, they are one of my favorites!

• Some Hydrangeas are more shade tolerant than others, and all like acid soils. Best to much with wood chips or shredded bark too