Amy R.
Amy R.
  • Franklin, KY

Fountain

NancyLorraine Bradshaw-martinCd.12082042
+36

Ok so I made this fountain...a lil' tacky...moved it to back rock garden...ever since day one I cant get it right no matter where I put it...it spills but the water is running back behind the top barrel....any ideas on how to make all the water go back in the bottom...I have tilted it and tilted it...it needs something...cant figure it out?????????????
q fountain, diy, gardening, how to, outdoor living, ponds water features, repurposing upcycling
  • Miriam I

I'm tagging @Julee S - she knows a thing or two about fountains. Also, there is nothing tacky about this. It's AWESOME!

• Amy R.

Thnx....I hope I get it going again!

• Jean Vercler

TACKY!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like Miriam said-it's AWESOME!! I absolutely love it!! wish I could help with the problem. are you going to post how u did this? good luck with the water problem!

• Amy R.

yes soon when I get it back together...moved it...

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I think you need to 'funnel' it. The spill needs to be a tad bit beyond the edge of the the barrel lip.

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner

Not tacky.......BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

• Curtain Lady Design

Adorable!

• Gail Salminen

@Amy R. I agree with the others, it is beautiful! I think that @360 Sod (Donna Dixson) is right there needs to be a way of making the water fall forward so it doesn't travel to the back of the barrel. Could be the top barrel needs to have more of a forward tilt to it, It might also help to put some kind of a clear sealant on the front where the water falls to the lower barrel. Perhaps a smooth surface there would help direct the flow - just my brain spewing out ideas LOL Thanks for sharing - I truly love the look!

• Mella J

Maybe even carve a little channel in the edge of the barrel to direct the water into the bottom barrel. Not sure if this is feasible, but I have an old whiskey barrel and I know the edge is rather thick and has a lot of grooves in it, that leads me to believe the water is dispersing horizontally instead of the vertical position you're going for.

• Roberta Eagleston

neat idea! Donna and Gail correct. Look at a pitcher or liquid measuring cup; they have a "mouth" that directs the liquid when pouring. A metal lip of some kind. Aluminum ? Maybe so it won't rust.

• Bobby Goodwin

Great job on the fountain!! A small block of wood cut on a 45 degree angle with the angle towards the back and the long part in the front will "funnel" the water to a point below where it can run back along the bottom of the barrel.Stain or paint to match the barrel and clear coat for long life.

• Phil Miller

Water tends to follow a surface. It is running back following the under surface of the barrel. An L shaped piece of tin or metal bent so as to guide the water down will prevent this. This "L" does not have to be long. Just enough to prevent a back flow.

• Richard

Phil M is right!

• Misty50

How about tacking a small piece of sheet metal to the underside of the barrel that extends to make a sort of spout.

• Roberta Madison

This is very inspiring. I also want this for my home! The water dilemma though is a bit challenging, but maybe landscape architects will have some great info on how to solve this.

• Vickie Goss

Turn off water, get spray foam insulation and fill in all around where water flows. After it is completely dry, trim off excess, reposition flowers, rocks, etc. around to cover. May need to paint also if too light. I think its called 'great stuff', home depot and lowes carries it. You can also take heavy plastic and shape the water valley, prop with rocks, wood, etc., let the plastic hang down to direct the water, cover with foliage.

• Traci

Great fountain with absolutely no tacky factor. It needs a lip or over hang to give the water someplace to drip from much like the bottom of the sill of a window.

• Marci N

If you could make one of those cement leaves for it to trickle over it would not only bring it further out so it no longer runs along the back of the barrel but it would look WAY cool.

• Gail lichtsinn

I have a wishing well fountain and the bucket was doing the same thing..Some of the problen is wood shrinks and swell..As a last resort I tried the flex seal spray you see advertised on tv..It comes in black..I sprayed the inside with two or three coats..Im going to have to spray it every year probably because the wood shrinks in the winter and leaves gaps between the wood slats.Also it isnt tipped enough..If this hadnt worked I would have stopped using the fountain..I had to constanly refill it

• Joyce

You have done a wonderful job! - it's beautiful! You already have lots of advice, but - - have you tried using the plastic liner made just for these ½ barrels? I know they are usually used upright, but don't know why it wouldn't work on side also..

• Melissa

I put a small bead of silicone about an inch or so long just under the edge of my water feature. It made just enough of a ridge to stop the water from flowing back under the top part.

• Cindy Argo

You could try the spray sealant for stopping leaks on your gutters!

• JanB

I fought the same difficulty for years with my homemade fountain. If you will run the water in tube that extends beyond the edge of the barrel and add a nice long piece of coated copper wire that is just large enough diameter to cause the tube to bend down lower than the barrel lip, your problem will be solved :) If the water drips rather than being forced past the barrel lip it will always find a way back up the barrel edge.

Instructions? This is great!

• Amy R.

Thnx to all of you for your great ideas! I was gonna use the flex seal too!

• Trish F

I have that same problem with one of my fountains - I was thinking I needed a stronger pump. It only happens when its been on for a while.No tacky factor - great job!

• Gail lichtsinn

amy the flex seal worked for me but i had to use a couple of coats..Its dries really fast but DONT breathe it in..Turn you head a little or cover your mouth and nose with a scarf or something

• Eleanor G

I love your fountain! It's absolutely gorgeous!

• Chris aka monkey

i think your fountain is really cute love it xx

• Marg Kendall

So, what did you do to alleviate the problem? My first thought was to tilt the top barrel forward so it doesn't want to run back. Like when pouring something out of a glass, you just tilt it forward more so it goes out the FRONT and doesn't run down the back. Wha did you end up doing?

• TheDIYShow.com

I love your fountain. Water features are so calming!!

• Lyn Therese

A stronger pump or bring pump up closer to the surface and add some water plants to camouflage it. And some kind of lip would make a cleaner flow. Love it!

• Janet Smith

What a cute idea! Love your fountain

• Jennifer Vallot

Is your top barrel sealed at the back and bottom (side slats to about half way around the barrel circumference)? I would perhaps even seal the entire inside of the top barrel with a coating of some sort so that even if the water collects in the top back, it will eventually have to run out the front edge and into the bottom. Also ensuring that the bottom edge is level or tipped slightly forward as suggested may help and adding a lip along the outside edge of the top barrel could encourage the water to trickle straight down instead of following the barrel slats backward. I love the idea and think this is so cute for a water feature in a corner.

• Cd.12082042

I have never made a fountain ,but pretty good at problem solving ! So ,the barrels are too wide for a single waterfall . You wouldn't be able to tilt it enough to achieve a single stream without some of the water running and keep your decorations . My thought is you could attach,mount end of a spade on the outside of the top barrel .Bend the metal spade downward ,attach it to the barrel by the wooden handle so it works as a spout! Should be a easy fix.

• Cd.12082042

I could have simply said YOU NEED A SPOUT!!! It can be made out of anything i had had just suggested a easy one , no limits to the imagination :)

• Lorraine Bradshaw-martin

Tip the barrel a bit more forward

• Nancy

Awwwh that is so pretty i love it and if u say it's taky well i love the tacky too gorgous water fall😊