How to Clean Your Floors: There’s a Right Way to Mop

Mopping. Not really the most exciting subject matter. This is, until you find yourself the proud owner of floors that just don’t seem to come clean or that always look a bit lackluster. They can make your whole house feel icky and if you’re like most people, then you probably never really put much thought into whether you’re really mopping them correctly or not.
how to clean your floors there s a right way to mop, cleaning tips, flooring
Now this little tutorial today is going to be all about cleaning tiled or vinyl linoleum-type flooring. Your basic hard-working kitchen, bathroom, and entryway type of floors.
[Hey! Looking for more great home-keeping tips?! Check out How to keep your home from being taken over by pet fur!)
You start out by filling a bucket or your kitchen sink with hot water and some kind of cleaning solution. If you have a favorite, by all means, use that. A little dish soap and some vinegar does the trick just as well too!
Next, grab your mop! Despite all the new-fangled mopping gizmos out there, a classic cotton mop is still the best. It holds on to water and dirt, but it also lets it go. This is key!
[Psst! Using your kitchen sink to mop?! Learn how to properly sanitize it afterwards, here!]
Click on the link below to get the full instructions for "Slop-Mopping"! It's a little different than your typical mopping routine, and it really works!
CreekLineHouse .

• Dianna R Denson Cummings

I used the Bissel Steam mop and unfortunately it pulled the top clear coat off my new hardwood floors and it looked like glue popped up every where and just peeled. I will never use on my hardwood floors again as they were ruined in my dining room. Had to have re-sanded and re-polyurathined. It was a costly mistake.

• CreekLineHouse .

Hi Dianna & Shari! I have definitely heard both good things and bad things about steam mops.... Everybody has different needs, and once you find something that works for you, I definitely recommend sticking with it! :)

• Hillela G.

My husband would have to agree with you! Nothing makes him prouder than when he has finished mopping our newly sparkly floors!