How do I cover up a hole I had to make?

I had a plumping issue and so I have a hole in the wall in my hall way. I would like it fixed but want to be able to get in there if I had another problem.
  17 answers
  • Lisa Lisa on Jul 27, 2016
    Is it high enough to hang a picture over it?
  • Kathy Stetts Kathy Stetts on Jul 27, 2016
    Cover up the hole! It's very easy to drywall it again.
  • Jud8850600 Jud8850600 on Jul 27, 2016
    Look for a site with a video. Really it's not that difficult.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jul 28, 2016
    Some houses have framed in openings with an insert to allow for access to plumbing! I think it should be a standard procedure! Look for some videos.
  • Barry Dingle Barry Dingle on Jul 28, 2016
    How big is the hole? Could you make it bigger, extend it all the way to the floor then install a door? Maybe a cabinet door if it's a small hole, or a closet door if it's too big for a cabinet door to cover.. Or, depending on it's location, a full length mirror might look appropriate there?
  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Jul 28, 2016
    The handyman here had to actually make an access in my hall closet.He just covered it with the drywall he cut out,then screwed it back into place.
  • Dia8334358 Dia8334358 on Jul 28, 2016
    When I was growing up, the plumbing access 'panel' for the bathroom was in my bedroom - probably a 16" x 10" opening. My dad took a small cabinet door and covered the opening screwing it in place. We painted it to match the wall. Since it didn't extend past the baseboards (and didn't have a handle on it) it did not interfere with the placement of any furniture.
  • Pea Pea on Jul 28, 2016
    Cover it with a cold air return vent cover
  • Marilyn Marilyn on Jul 28, 2016
    Go to YouTube. You can learn how to do anything there.
  • Susan Susan on Jul 28, 2016
    Pea's answer is genious!
    • DORLIS DORLIS on Jul 28, 2016
      I also like this one! You can use a decorative grill, paint it to match the wall so it looks like you wanted it there and yet can remove it if you want.
  • Lemons Lemons on Jul 28, 2016
    I cut out a piece to fit in the hole tight, run spackle in any part that is not secure, tape it, sand it paint it. No big deal and you can't tell it was ever there when I was done.
  • Katie Katie on Jul 28, 2016
    Home improvement stores sell access doors for this purpose in various sizes. You can paint them to match the wall.
  • Bernadette Staal Bernadette Staal on Jul 28, 2016
    You don't say how high the hole is off the ground or show a picture of where it is in the wall .... simple fix hang a piece of art work over it.
  • Ellis Ellis on Jul 29, 2016
    You can buy an access panel and paint to match your wall.
  • Lemons Lemons on Jul 29, 2016
    I am assuming it is a hole and not an access area. So I guess it depends on what kind of hole it is.
  • Kathleen Kathleen on Jul 29, 2016
    You mention you might have to access it again; if you make an access panel, you can make/buy a panel and even put a frame around it and then paint it the same color as your wall.
  • Cristine Meixner Cristine Meixner on Aug 01, 2016
    I cut a plywood panel to fit over the hole left by my plumber, painted it to match the wall and screwed it into the 2X4 studs on each side of the hole he made behind my shower pipes.