Laying Shiplap Floors

We recently did our office makeover (you can read about by visiting my blog & see the full room http://www.onfernavenue.com/2016/07/office-makeover-with-modern-masters.html) and we laid shiplap as our floor & I painted it to look old, worn and aged.
laying shiplap floors, flooring, home maintenance repairs, how to
We started by purchasing 8 inch wide shiplap planks in various sizes from 6, 8, 10 & 12 foot long boards from Home Depot.
Once the room was set and ready to lay the floor, I laid out my boards by size. We staggered them just the way you'd stagger hardwood flooring so that the seams wouldn't be against each other from row to row.
We started laying the floor, and each plank as we laid it got tongue & groove adhesive & then nailed with my Ryobi Airstrike nail gun to secure the boards.
We didn't have to make too many cuts, the main cuts would be once we got to the end of the room. Again just making sure we didn't have the end of board seams next to each other.
Remember I wanted an old, aged, and worn look. Once the flooring had been fully laid, I used a dark stain over the entire room. The stain needs to fully dry.
And, then I went over the entire floor with Antique White paint, and then I used a dark gray called Randolph Gray just over areas I knew I'd be distressing back. I don't have a photo of that, but I knew where I'd want to distress & that's where the darker gray went.
And, then my final two coats of paint went on the entire floor. I used Benjamin Moore Floor & Patio paint for the final coats. The Floor & Patio paint is a premium quality, quick-drying epoxy-modified acrylic floor enamel. I love how quick it dried & how durable it is. I have since dropped a few tools on it, and it has yet to fail me, there is a ding (which I love) here & there, but the paint didn't budge. I love that I didn't need to go over the floors with a polyurethane either to protect it!
Once it was completely dry, which didn't take long, I went in with my Ryobi orbital & corner cat sander to distress all of the areas I wanted to show wear & tear!
Having the dark stain under helps to not show the raw wood when you are creating the distress look. If this was a true old loft space, then the paint on the floors would naturally be wearing down, and you most likely wouldn't see true raw wood. But, since I am creating the look "unnaturally" I need the dark color under my paint to make the wood appear old.
Doing shiplap flooring was really simple, quick & we love the look!! To see how the full room looks, please visit my blog!

• Shiplap planks  (Home Depot)
  • Floor & Patio Paint  (Benjamin Moore)

Lynn Fern

• David And Gloria

Without a detailed picture close up, I am unsure of what kind of word you used. At one point you said tongue and groove which is different than shiplap. Hardwood is an example of tongue and grove. What species is the wood? Thanks for any help with my questions.

• Ann dowdy

I agree with David and Gloria the wood does look like it has a tongue and groove look to it. But without a good closeup it is difficult to tell for sure, although you can check at Home Depot. The floor is gorgeous and I would like to know why you used so many coats of paint?

• Glenda Morris

Wonderful job. Do you have a post about your wall. Is that Faux brick????

• Her2308345

Great looking floor. Any idea of the cost per sq. ft. Of this to compare?

• Paula

I hope you don't come to regret the white floor like I do.

• Jen Burns

Absolutely amazing!

• Johnchip

I am glad you were an expert to begin with. Sorry to waste my time answering you with my 68 yrs of experience and knowledge on such pros.

• Lynn Fern

John.. I appreciate learning new things & that's why I was pushing to ask, because I want my followers & those here reading to understand the discussion. We're all here to learn. I never would do something of this level in my home without doing it right. I'm not necessarily the expert, but my husband is highly experienced in this area.