Using Old Shutters in the Garden

We had three pairs of old shutters and didn't know what to do with them. So we created a privacy screen a couple years ago and this year took it apart and hung the pairs on a long fenceline to create some interest.
Originally the shutters were joined together to create a privacy screen.
This year, we took the three sets apart and hung them on the long fence line, one per panel in my secret garden
You could paint them any colour you want, but we left the original green to show off the plants like this Tigers Eye sumac.
It gives this new fence a bit of history and whimsy.
Heather (New House New Home)

• Debbie Sheegog

there is a beautiful, spreading background yellow flowering plant,could you share the name of it? THANKS. Love this idea, by the way, and have saved old windows to help re-build an old building one day on our farm.

• Judy

We carted around a heavy set of old wooden shutters for years and I had planned to use them as a place to put hats, coats, etc in a mud room, but that never happened. Finally, we hung them to frame in a pantry door in our old Maine farmhouse and they have a permanent home.
  • Joanie

Your landscaping is beautiful! I think the shutters will be great for a vine of roses or a vine of anything.