Perennial, maintenance free flower bed.

Accenting mailboxes is a big thing in my area but with a strong western exjposure, I had trouble with flowers in our drought ridden summers. I decided to try a group of grasses and non flowering plants....dusty miller, varigated liriope and darker grass (can't remember its name). Keep the dusty miller trimmed back and then trim down the others before they have spring regrowth. I accented with a few gerber daisies for color.
Maintenance free flower bed around mailbox!

• Sharon J Dougherty

How do you keep cats from doing there business in your mulch?

• Jeanette S

I thought I sent an answer on this earlier. I don't have cats so I don't have a problem. I live in a small city that does not allow animals off leash...so we don't have any cats coming along. And for some reason, not many weeds come up in this...I clean it out when I plant and that is about it. I think since it is close to the street, and the lawn is weed free, this eliminates the weeds.

• Barbara Suber

name of all flowers/plants used. absolutely gorgeous
    • Jeanette S

In the corners - Dusty Miller...keep cut back about monthly with scissors.
      Variegated Laropie...just trim back old growth in spring just after you see the new blades come up.
      Maroon Cordyling...I love this stuff! Trim off ugly blades occasionally.
      If you can't find any of these, just pick any small perennial for it's colorful foliage.
      A few Gerber Daisies for color. Unless very harsh cold, they will come back.
      GOOD LUCK!
      I clean out any weeds or tree seedlings every spring and that is about all I have to do to this.
      I prepare the bed with top soil and sand and put in some watering crystals because I don't like to stand out in the Atlanta heat and water...follow directions on the bag (Made by Miracle Grow...well worth it! I use these in all of my plantings...I have a watering system, but too costly to run and County restrictions!)
      Once you have this in place don't mess it up...like I did! I just now have it looking good again!

• Eroque022810

Yes very inspiring. You have given me an answer. They planted Shasta daisies I believe they are very tall and pretty and I will replant them,but not by a mailbox what we're the previous owners thinking. Only our 1st full year here so now that I have seen what they did I can undo their mess. Those flowers attracted wasps! The poor mailman. I didn't know, but as soon as I found out I had the nest they had started destroyed. I'm planing on just planting hostas and making area so it doesn't attract wasps.
  • Jeanette S

I get a little color from Gerber daisies...they don't take over and they don't shade out the other stuff.
    The dirt in this area is getting packed so it is getting a facelift hopefully this week...it is wet out there now so waiting for it to dry up a bit. Things grow better if you take everything out and turn over the dirt...like farmers!