Carol Harris
Carol Harris
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Jonesboro, AR

How to clean berber carpet

Jennifer CabreraPat880866Lisa McGraw
+15

my carpet is about 4 years old and looks great except in front of chairs where people put there feet, I have a steam cleaner, but nothing I have tried removes the dark spots, carpet is light color, any suggestion.
  • KMS Woodworks

Do you know what the carpet fiber is? ie: wool, nylon, polyester etc. some fibers react differently to cleaners. Knowing what you have is the first step to success.

• Jennie McFarling

I used spot shot when I moved my Mom...worked great...it was several years worth of stains at it was in her sewing/office, but it came out

• Carol Harris

Thank you both, I don't know what the fiber is but I will fine out, when I bought it the sales person told me I could even us bleach on it, which I haven't, but none of the shampoos have worked, my steamer is a Hoover, Jennie is Spot Shot the name of the product you used? I haven't ever see this product, .

• Carol Harris

Jennie, do you know the kind of Spot Shot you used, I looked on line and they are so many different ones, also did you have to order it? or can you buy it in stores. Thanks.

• L

I have found Spot Shot at any local stores. From walmart, walgreens, target. Pretty much anywhere. Most grocery stores even carry it.

• Carol Harris

I am so thrilled to learn of the product Spot Shot, I bought some today at Target, and it works so well. thank you again. Now I don't have to get new carpet, ya.

• Jennie McFarling

I am so glad the SpotShot worked for you. I like the aerosol. Carol, good to know it worked so well for you.

• Carol Harris

Thank you so much Jennie, its a great product, and I'm telling everyone about it. The aerosol can is the only one that Target had and its great, that's amazing to me how good it works, I have tried everything and spend lots of money, so happy.

• Mani

If you dissolve 1 cup of calgon to 1 gallon of hot water you can get most ground in dirt and stains out, and it smells good and leaves your rug soft with no soap residue left behind

• Carol Harris

are you talking about the calgon that is for taking a bath in?

• Carol Harris

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• JoAnn Herrington

I have cats (black cats) and I have a black & white zebra print rug (8' X 10') and believe me the black portion shows everthing almost as badly as the white. I know that it is cotton. After using the vac, I tried some shout, the kind that comes with the brush on the bottle. I only used it on the white portions of the rug. I applied it according to the directions (only on the white) and it worked beautifully. The white actually looks better than new. It took a little elbow grease, but it was really worth the effort. I applied it and waited over night. it was pretty much dry, but I took a bowl of warm water and a brush and went over it until it was almost wet. Then took a paper towels and soaked up the remaining water. I allowed it to dry and then vacuumed. It looked great and smelled great.

• Carol Harris

I haven't thought of that, thanks.

• Lisa McGraw

I use a little Dawn dish soap and hot water and baking soda, make a paste and brush it in the carpet, let it dry, vacuum it up, repeat til stain is gone, then rinse a few times with water and vinegar to get the soap out of the carpet, as it will attract more dirt if you don't get the soap out

• Pat880866

Sometimes good old elbow grease works great. For greasy stains, a little shampoo works great.

• Jennifer Cabrera

My go to for carpet stains is ammonia, water, white cotton rag and an iron. It will get 20 year old red wine stains out. It's amazing!!! Mix 50/50 ammonia and water in a spritz bottle. Spray it on the spot generously and immediately put the white rag on top. Then iron it (no steam, hottest setting). You will here it sizzle when the liquid reaches the iron - that's perfect! Give it one or two rubs with the iron and then move to a clean part of the rag. Repeat until the rag comes up clean. You will be shocked and disgusted by the time you are done. IMPORTANT: Do not put your iron directly on your carpet!!! It will likely melt it almost instantly. Hope it helps!!