How to Remove Pet Stains From Carpet

While we were on vacation our "Senior" Newfoundland Bruce had a diarrhea accident on the carpet in the bonus room. BIG DAWGS, BIG MESSES!!! Our House-Sitter could not get all the stains out, so by the time we got back we had 2 yellow stains the size of fists right smack in the middle of the room. I shampooed the carpet with my Hoover several times like a mad women, but no luck. The stains had set, being that is was now a good 10 days after the fact. We tried about every carpet cleaner on the shelf including Spot Shot, Proxy Clean, Laundry stain remover.... No Luck! But here is what did work....GOOD OLE VINEGAR AND BAKING SODA. Click on blog link to see the full post
How to remove pet stains from carpet. Old or new!
All you need is white vinegar and baking soda
Pour enough vinegar on carpet to soak the stain, then sprinkle baking soda on top
Cover with a plate and leave it alone for 1 - 2 days. Vacuum up baking soda. That's it!
I took Before and After pictures on different days, so the lighting is not the same..sorry
Nope, he didn't do that..haha

Christine @ Little Brags

• Tara Talley

Do you think this would work on other stains as well? I live in a rental and the carpets are terrible! I had them cleaned many times; they'll look okay for a day or two and them the stains come right back up again. The previous tenant used double sided tape to hold her rugs in place and the glue from the tape won't come of either, but I'm more concerned with the recurrent stains.
    Please save me from these hideous carpets!
  • Joan Cuppett

Will it work on a recliner that the fabric looks like it is a brushed fabric or the oriental rug that the cat through up on?
  • Joan Stanley

My carpet is gray. Is the vinegar & baking soda color safe?

• Sandi Dixon Armstrong

Of course test this before you use on your whole carpet. I clean my carpets and couches with peroxide. Two big bottles cost a little over $2 at Sam’s Club. I fill my Bissel Carpet Shampooer tank with hot water, leaving room to add about a cup of solution to the top. I then add 2/3 to 1 cup of peroxide, depending on how bad it is, and about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of Odor Ban (also cheap at Sam’s Club). This goes in every time you dump and refill the water tank. Mine has an all-in-one tank with a vinyl bladder that you fill with clean water and the dirty water gets sucked in under the bladder. You don’t want to overdo the Odor Ban since you will be using quite a bit of it if you are cleaning a big room. This works amazing. I though I was going to have to replace my carpets when I moved back home after having renters. I also spray odor ban on the back of my couches or drapes to freshen rooms. I have Rottweilers, so carpets and odor are daily. I have even sprayed peroxide straight on a stain for pretreatment as well as on my couch, test first. Hope this helps.

• Sandi Dixon Armstrong

i don’t remember a single issue with it, but try a test spot to be safe.