Julie Evans
Julie Evans
  • Helena, AL

Vining fern

Douglas HuntJulie EvansMelissa
+5

Name of fern & where can i get more?
Fern as a vine. I love this fern. It was given to me by a dear old friend. Does anyone know the name of this fern?

It's hard to tell if it's a match from your photo, Julie, but the only climbing fern I know of is Japanese climbing fern, Lygodium japonicum. Its rampant growth and immense size have put it on the invasive species alert list in both your state and mine. It's classified as a Class B Noxious weed in Alabama and a Noxious Weed in Florida.

• Jane Rowinsky

In Alabama it goes to pine plantation tree tops where it can contribute to spreading forest fires.

• Pamela Dyer

It looks like a variety of the Stag Horn Fern. I've seen several different kinds growing in Florida.

• R.V.R. Farris

A Japanese climbing fern, we've had them for years in baskets and on fences.

• Melissa

Japanese climbing fern...I love mine in a small blue pot ,kept inside but understand that it does spread very quickly outside.

• Julie Evans

Oh gosh Douglas, it does not seem to be invasive on my property. I love it so. I don't see it much around here

• Julie Evans

Thank you Ferris & Melissa

The spores are spread on the wind, Julie, so the sad fact is that there is no way to really contain it to your property.