Laura
Laura
  • Cambridge, OH

Evening prim rose

360 Sod (Donna Dixson)LauraPeg
+5

A friend gave me a plant that he called a moon flower, It had dandelion type leaves and a flower that would open at nite around 9pm. The flower was yellow and we would watch it open. The plant was omly about 6-8 " tall. needles to say it died on me, and I haven't been able to find anything like it since. Any suggestions.

You're right with your title, Laura. The plant you want to look for is evening primrose, a type of Oenothera. You may be having trouble finding it because the perennial selection at most nurseries is looking pretty picked over by this point in the summer, but there's always next year, or you may be able to find it via mail order.

• Laura

Thank u Doug, I have looked for this flower for about 4 yrs now. I planted seeds that said evening primrose, but when fully grown they weren't the one I was looking for. My friend lives in Buffalo NY, and still insists they are called moon flowers!

The only moon flowers I know are white, not yellow.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I think you are looking for Oenothera acaulis aurea. It has the dandelion like leaves and blooms in the evening. It is sometimes called moonflower. There are a ton of different Oenothera species and it would be easy to get the wrong one.

• Peg

Did it look like either of the two below? These are two different types of my evening primrose.

evening prim rose, flowers, gardening, This is a tall plant anywhere form 8 to 2ft tall Ugly weedy looking leaves It has been called hookeri This plant dies off every winter I get new ones from the seeds left behindevening prim rose, flowers, gardening, the yellow flower behind the orange lilies are another yellow evening primrose These are perennial spread by runners under the soil can be invasive but wonderful display of bright yellow in the garden
  • Laura

@360 Sod (Donna Dixson) Thank you, I went to the site for Oenothera acalis and found the flower I was looking for, Than k you so much

• Laura

Evening Primrose, Dandelion-leaved Sundrop Oenothera acaulis

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

You are welcome @Laura ! I hope to see pictures when you catch that nite bloom :)