Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

The Natural Drain Cleaner for Your Clogged Drain

$1

It happened again last week -- my drain got completely clogged after cleaning up from dinner. Commercial cleaners can be really caustic on pipes, besides being toxic, so when my sink or tub stops draining, I reach for some trusty eco ingredients, like baking soda and vinegar to unclog that drain.
the natural drain cleaner for your clogged drain, appliances, cleaning tips, go green
Here’s my clogged kitchen sink. Ugh, right? This is one of my least favorite issues to deal with.

Step 1: Gather Your Materials
All I needed for this drain cleaner was vinegar, baking soda and a cup of boiling water. Step 2: Add the Baking Soda
I poured about a fourth of a cup of baking soda right on top of the drain. Some of it settled into the drain and some swirled around the water. Don't worry - this will work regardless! Step 3: Add Vinegar
Next, I poured about half a cup of vinegar right in the drain, too. That's when the fun began...
See that? That's my favorite chemical reaction! Beautiful, frothy foam taking care of my mess for me.
When the drain cleaner has pushed through the gunk, air bubbles start coming up through your drain. If your sink doesn't start draining, just repeat steps 2 and 3 until it does. Step 4: Pour Boiling Water Down the Drain
I poured about two cups of boiling water down the drain to further clear out any leftover gunk that might have survived my foam cleanse. This also left my sink sparkling!
I love using green products to solve common household problems, and, bonus, it’s cheap, too!

• 1/4 C. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 C. Vinegar
  • 2 C. Boiling water

• Hazelp

Hey,

Nice tips. Will try it out.I usually encounter problems with my kitchen sink, especially when guests come over to stay. Its an embarrassing situation though :)

Thanks

• Derek Lotts

Great tips, hank you for sharing with us. Tree roots, sediment, and other debris can pile up in the sewer pipes over the years, causing all sorts of problems. I'm from Sydney and just a decade or two ago you had to tear down your pipes to clean them, now there is a less intrusive method. You see, blocked drains in Sydney are cleared using high-pressure water jetting systems. This is an incredibly effective solution, which can clean almost any type of debris from your pipes and drains. So, make sure to check if somebody is offering these services in your area.