The Natural Drain Cleaner for Your Clogged Drain

513K Views
It happened again last week -- my drain got completely clogged after cleaning up from dinner. Commercial cleaners can be really caustic on pipes, besides being toxic, so when my sink or tub stops draining, I reach for some trusty eco ingredients, like baking soda and vinegar to unclog that drain.
Time: 2 MinutesCost: $1Difficulty: Easy
  • the natural drain cleaner for your clogged drain, appliances, cleaning tips, go green
Here’s my clogged kitchen sink. Ugh, right? This is one of my least favorite issues to deal with.

Step 1: Gather Your Materials
All I needed for this drain cleaner was vinegar, baking soda and a cup of boiling water. Step 2: Add the Baking Soda
I poured about a fourth of a cup of baking soda right on top of the drain. Some of it settled into the drain and some swirled around the water. Don't worry - this will work regardless! Step 3: Add Vinegar
Next, I poured about half a cup of vinegar right in the drain, too. That's when the fun began...
See that? That's my favorite chemical reaction! Beautiful, frothy foam taking care of my mess for me.
When the drain cleaner has pushed through the gunk, air bubbles start coming up through your drain. If your sink doesn't start draining, just repeat steps 2 and 3 until it does. Step 4: Pour Boiling Water Down the Drain
I poured about two cups of boiling water down the drain to further clear out any leftover gunk that might have survived my foam cleanse. This also left my sink sparkling!
I love using green products to solve common household problems, and, bonus, it’s cheap, too!

Suggested materials for this project:

• 1/4 C. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 C. Vinegar
  • 2 C. Boiling water