The Natural Drain Cleaner for Your Clogged Drain

$1

It happened again last week -- my drain got completely clogged after cleaning up from dinner. Commercial cleaners can be really caustic on pipes, besides being toxic, so when my sink or tub stops draining, I reach for some trusty eco ingredients, like baking soda and vinegar to unclog that drain.
Here’s my clogged kitchen sink. Ugh, right? This is one of my least favorite issues to deal with.

Step 1: Gather Your Materials
All I needed for this drain cleaner was vinegar, baking soda and a cup of boiling water. Step 2: Add the Baking Soda
I poured about a fourth of a cup of baking soda right on top of the drain. Some of it settled into the drain and some swirled around the water. Don't worry - this will work regardless! Step 3: Add Vinegar
Next, I poured about half a cup of vinegar right in the drain, too. That's when the fun began...
See that? That's my favorite chemical reaction! Beautiful, frothy foam taking care of my mess for me.
When the drain cleaner has pushed through the gunk, air bubbles start coming up through your drain. If your sink doesn't start draining, just repeat steps 2 and 3 until it does. Step 4: Pour Boiling Water Down the Drain
I poured about two cups of boiling water down the drain to further clear out any leftover gunk that might have survived my foam cleanse. This also left my sink sparkling!
I love using green products to solve common household problems, and, bonus, it’s cheap, too!

• 1/4 C. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 C. Vinegar
  • 2 C. Boiling water

• Cassandra Thomas

will this work on hair in the drain?
    • Ladyonyamind

It didn't get rid of the hair for me although it did make it easier for me to pull it out. However I don't think I got it all because drain is still slower. But worked amazing in my other sinks, shower and toilet. Also I put vinegar and baking soda in a bag and tape it around the shower head. I also make a baking soda paste and spread it under the rim of my toilet. Then pour 1 cup in the toilet. I leave on for 1-2 hours. I put a couple drops of essence oil in the back of the toilet. So when flushed you get a nice soft scent. I put vinegar in a good spray bottle and start spraying the rim of toilet letting it clean deep. Wipe with sponge rinse and wipe dry.

• Mary Ann Schetlick

Can I use this solution if I have a garbage disposal attached to the drain?
  • Ang28350828

putting boiling water down your drain does not thin the rubber seal underneath the sink?

• Cbe27936732

it doesn't work, because you neutralize the baking soda with acid ( vinegar ) the Hydrogen of baking soda is eliminated from the acid produces a neutral salt.

Just use Salt instead.

• Marilyn

I tried that 4 times and o luck. I'll be moving on to some other options :(

• Ladyonyamind

If you find something natural that works on hair please let me know. My daughters hair is forever clogging drains