Cindy S
Cindy S
  • Wildomar, CA

Our mirror mosaic fence. We had a blast creating this. Amazing what can come from a broken mirror mishap.

We used 6 large broken mirrors.
We used 6 large broken mirrors.
Looks like a jigsaw ran amuck on our fence. Seems as though you can see right through to the neighbors yard.
our mirror mosaic fence we had a blast creating this amazing what can come from a, fences, ponds water features, repurposing upcycling

• S. Cobb

What did you use to adhere the mirror pieces to the wood?

• Wendyrama

Locktite glue. Or, as the creative genius behind this project fondly calls it, construction adhesive. If there are almost 200 comments you can bet your bottom dollar your question has been asked and answered. When the comment section starts look to your right, there is an active link saying "displaying comments 1-10." Or something like that. You can click on that to go back, even to the very first comment. So many fascinating things get asked and answered.

• Bernice H

I love this,don't know how I missed this from way back...how is it holding up?

• Patricia patane mesa az

Did you glue a piece at a time 0r what?

• Taffetal

What are the mirror pieces glued to? Screen material, fabric . . . ?

• David Bishop

Surely this is dangerous? All those sharp edges. Anyone falls against them they are in trouble!

• Big3811503

So is crossing the road dangerous

• David Bishop

Which we all take precautions doing (usually). So what precautions were taken here?

• Eliana

Why think of the negative, enjoy it and forget of the worse case scenario!

• Vila Raviojla

this is fence , it is ment to keep non invated people out. Anyone jumping over one ...well, its on them.

• DaisyJane247

Not everyone uses their yard for rowdy football games. Some like to just sit and relax in the peaceful solitude. It's pretty hard to get cut that way. Just sayin'. :)

• Deborah Cripple

BEAUTIFUL!!! I THINK I'LL TRY THIS ON MY FENCE!!!

• Cynde Peace

I'm assuming there are no sharp edges exposed. The mirror pieces look like they're adhered flat to the fence. They don't look like they're overlapping the boards...I think this is really cool looking... I'd love to have details though on the glue used... It'd have to be an epoxy I'm thinking, that would withstand cold/heat/water. Anyone know?

• Catherine

You could probably run a bead of something around each edge, outline it with some sort of epoxy from a tube that would work or clear caulking maybe?

• Jim L

This is absolutely fantastic! This garden is for relaxing...the wall is not to walk on or climb on. Stay out of the flower bed! Some people are afraid of flying...some of us are not. Some people are afraid to try anything that is a little different...some of will try just about anything! You did a great job and you are very creative...keep up the good work!

• MM

Oh hell no! I can't clean up a broken glass without slicing myself, even if I wore gloves! Looks great, but definitely not pour moi.

• Christine Robinson

Where are the unstructions?

• Jana Yeakel

I was thinking about kids that would walk up and touch it with the sharp edges. But if it is up and out of reach no worries . I love it!!

• Susanmarvin

Do you have any directions?

• Becky Vaughn

No way would I do this. The piece of mirror laying on the ground or up on the Fants can cause a huge fire

• Susanmarvin

It could go on a north facing fence

• Jackie

I love the idea, but I don't think it would work in AZ

• Jo

Looks simple to do. Using good adhesive & your imagination create flower or sun bursts etc. I bet any pattern would look awesome!

• B Juliana Leo

I think it looks cool, BUT - I think the edges being exposed could pose a danger to anything it comes in contact...even a stray cat who might climb up the side of a fence (and you would think it wouldn't happen...but it does) More of an idea...inlay this into Concrete and overpour it with Epoxy - that was my first Visual Impression... and something I would do myself...Actually, when I think about it...I may have to try that idea since I have two big old mirrors just looking for a Project to Happen.

• Susanmarvin

Thank you for that, since I catch all the baby kittens born in my yard. I have been doing this for about five years now and I bottle feed them and keep them safe until I can find a home or if not I have them fixed and put them in the yard. I am getting ready to build a kitten hotel in my back yard so that they are not left out during the winter. At this time we use a make shift area for them to stay warm in the winter. Maybe I should take pictures as we build it and put it on use it for ideas for others. Thanks again, I wouldn't want my cats hurt. Susan Marvin

• Dlyssy

How do you deal with the seven years of bad luck for each mirror? Lol!

• Sparkles

can you please post pictures of it at night with the lights reflecting off the fence?

• Sparkles

How many mirrors did you use for this project? What is the length of the final mirror wall?

• Anna Ibarra

This is in regards to the rock fence part. Did you all do the bottom retaining rock wall? I simply love it so much. If you did, how did you all do it?

• Jill Carpenter

The major part of the wall looks to be recycled cement slabs such as from a sidewalk or street broken up. Then natural rocks were added in places to naturalize it. You can sometimes get the concrete from the city or state as they repair things. Also ask at concrete producers, dumps, recycle yards or look/ask Craig'slist. The worst that could happen is you hear "no".

• Jill Carpenter

Also, this may look easy but they have put an amazing amount of work into it! Mirror does not break as one expects it to and the piecing together takes time, thought and lots of rearranging. Getting the pieces to stay put while the glue sets up can be frustrating too. I did something similar but much smaller, the experience gives me nothing but respect and admiration for these folks.

• Jan4607062

I love this! The optical illusion just draws the viewer into an alternate reality. Your green trees reflect the ideal environment for the large "flowers" created by the mirror shards and YOUR enormous talent. You had to search thru the pieces to find matching, opposite, long, triangular, and other shapes. How long did it take you to think up yhe designs? Also, did you break all 6 mirrors at once, or over time? Sorry if this is on your blog. I'll go read it. Really just wanted to thank you for sharing this trippy outdoor art.

• Conni Urbanski-brown

What kind of glue did you use?

• Linda

I would use E6000. It's used a lot by mirror and glass Co. They call it by it's wholesale name and might have a mind to sell you some in a larger quainty.

• Mardee

Can a glass cutter be used to get the shapes your really wanting?

• Erin

Yes, with some determination and practice. There are some very talented mosaic artists in Florida who teach classes. And they'll show you the right tools to use.

• Yvette Huesler

Yes, you can cut the mirror with a glass cutter. It is easy to do. Go to youtube and search for videos on how to cut glass. Cutting mirror IS cutting glass.

• Erin

Lou Ann Weeks is an excellent source for glass cutting videos.

• Sheryl Kiely

How do you keep all the glass clean? --After a dewy or frosty morning...?

• Faith.wood

What are you attaching the glass to. I can not make out what it is.

• Helene O'Brien

How do you make this? What tools and material do you use to hang them.

• Johanne

Does the sun reflect off the glass and start to burn a hole or start a fire in the wood or trees in you yard?
    • Paula

Shouldn't do that. To get enough energy (light) to burn you'd have to use a spherical or parabolic mirror to focus the beams. Pizeeks teechur
  • Nancy

I would be willing to give a try ... how many mirrors and what size did it take to make this and i think i see that it is on a wooden fence and how was the pcs of mirror attatched if you don't mind and how did u break or cut the pcs of mirrors please thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful peice of art work with everybody you deserve a big pat on your back😊☺️
    • Dawne

It’s just beautiful! How did you attach the mirror?

• Mrr26854048

Do you have a DIY video on this project that we could view ?
    • Cindy S

No. Sorry. I didn't know about Hometalk until about 2 months after I finished the project. We didn't take any video or plan on doing a tutorial. A friend urged me to post it after she saw the finished project..

• Ren34123190

How is this made? I know you use a.broken mirror.

• Tina Smith

Will the winter cold break the mirrors

• Judy

not sure about this but I hung a 4-pane mirror outside on our shed 4 yrs.. ago and it has not broken!

• Cindy S

They haven't so far. We have quite a few freezing nights and some snow

• Karen Huffman

I would love to try this and would greatly appreciate more details and what you learned by creating it.

• Kae Patterson

How artistic does one need to be?? What would you say the difficulty level on this project ?

• Chris Gaines

Skill needed is about a 2. tap on the center of the mirror with a round ball head hammer [or toss a rounded rock] and get the center skinny shards that go all the way around the point you tapped. Experiment. Don't get cut! Beautiful project!

• Cindy S

I'm no expert. Just crafty. My husband thought I was crazy when I told him my idea. He thinks my mind is a bit quirky. 😁😉

• Louann

The fence is just amazing! Have you had any problems with birds flying into the mirrors?

• Sandy

what kind of adhesive did you use

• Veronica

I would think that a construction adhesive or an epoxy glue would work. Ask at Lowe’s or Home Depot. Good luck ! I once hung an ornate metal framed mirror on my shed and my neighbor thought i’d Put in a round window !

• Cindy S

Basic construction adhesive. Comes in a tube that we put in a caulking gun. After a couple of years we had to reattach some pieces. We got it at Lowe's in the paint dept

• Lucille

Need more direction.

As someone asked, what kind of adhesive?

• Veronica

Construction adhesive in those long tubes ? Or an epoxy glue, but, the 1st choice would be cheaper.

• Cindy S

• Dana

Can you please answer the questions?

• Cindy S

Sorry. I forgot my password and just got into my acct tonight. I answered a few questions. I hope they helped

• Danyll

Was this random breakage or did you cut the mirror into shapes?

• Virginia

Did you break this mirror intentionally into the somewhat shapes that you wanted?

• Monica

Looks to me like they used 1 mirror for each design. Thus I’d say it was ‘glued’ onto wall in the manner it broke. And probably not all pieces were used. That’s MY best guess 🤔

• Debbie Kiyasu

I was thinking that mirrors don't just break into designs like that. I figured they had a pile of random broken pieces to chose from and create designs according to what was there. I have a few large old mirrors and want to try this and wonder if there is a trick to breaking them to prevent them from shattering into many tiny pieces. I am also wondering how they were adhered to the wood for endurance in rain or if near a pool (which mine is).

• Cindy S

The 1st broken mirror fell and broke. The others we played on the ground, covered it w/ a sheet and dropped a rock on it. No cutting of shapes. The shapes were all random.

• Cindy S

We used the pieces how they were broken. We just spread them apart. We used almost every piece. We layed the large mirror on the ground and covered it w/ a sheet and dropped a rock on the center of it. If the pices were too large we'd drop a rock on the large piece. I hope this helped.

• Lillian

Interesting - but no links to How project was executed. Random broken pieces of mirror , I would think - would have sharp edges. Glued to fence slats? Or glued to a backing that would then be attached to fence? Enquirung minds want to know. Looks great!😛

• Cindy S

Yes they were sharp but not too bad. I wore gloves while applying the to the fence. I glued each individual piece to the fence slats.

• Annie de Vona

Inspiring photos, but I can’t seem to find the link to the project.

• Carol Cole

i fell in love with this the second I saw it.

It is gorgeous.