Tina @ Repurposed Life
Tina @ Repurposed Life
  • Roff, OK

Can someone help identify this tree for me?

Douglas HuntBarbara SullivanGinger Mosley, Realtor with Burnett Realty
+6

Douglas Hunt Barb Rosen Shelley @ Sow and Dipity I was at walking along the river canal in Bricktown ~ Oklahoma City this past weekend and saw several of these trees. I really love the shape of the tree and would like to plant a few but I do not have a clue is to what the name of the tree is.
Tree along the river canal in Bricktown, Oklahoma City, OK
Close up view of the leaves.
Close up view of the leaves.
  • Carole Andersen

I think my iphone ap went a little nuts when I tried to post my answer before and posted like six times, not good. Ha Looks like Yaupon Holly to me.

• Tina @ Repurposed Life

@Carole Andersen Awesome! I am assuming that you would train it much like a crepe myrtle to get the tree look.

That is exactly what you would do, Tina. Yaupons are a great plant for attracting birds. I have several in my backyard.

• Carole Andersen

Ah ha...Douglas beat me back to Hometalk :) So can I just say ditto to Douglas? Hee hee

• Looks like a Savannah Holly to me and the berries turn orange in fall and red in winter and the birds make a fabulous mess with them in the spring! Birds do like to best in them and they respond well to pruning.

• Barbara Sullivan

@Mr Hunt can you give me some info.on these(yaupon tree?) Can they go go in Va.?

@Barbara Sullivan yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria) is native to the southeastern US. It's usually listed as being hardy to zone 8, and I suspect you may be 7 in Roanoke. You need male and female plants to get berries, which in my case usually last until the robins come through.

• Barbara Sullivan

@DouglasThey like in holly family what I'm understanding,I'm new here but have learn a lot reading all post Finelly found place where people no what talking about,lol I hope thank's a lot for answering me I appreciate your help.Cookie

Hometalk is a good place to hang out, Barbara. We hope you'll stick around.