Can someone help identify this tree for me?

Douglas HuntBarbara SullivanGinger Mosley, Realtor with UTR-Texas Realtors LLC
+6

Douglas Hunt Barb Rosen Shelley @ Sow and Dipity I was at walking along the river canal in Bricktown ~ Oklahoma City this past weekend and saw several of these trees. I really love the shape of the tree and would like to plant a few but I do not have a clue is to what the name of the tree is.
Tree along the river canal in Bricktown, Oklahoma City, OK
Close up view of the leaves.
  • Carole Andersen

I think my iphone ap went a little nuts when I tried to post my answer before and posted like six times, not good. Ha Looks like Yaupon Holly to me.

• Tina @ Repurposed Life

@Carole Andersen Awesome! I am assuming that you would train it much like a crepe myrtle to get the tree look.

That is exactly what you would do, Tina. Yaupons are a great plant for attracting birds. I have several in my backyard.

• Carole Andersen

Ah ha...Douglas beat me back to Hometalk :) So can I just say ditto to Douglas? Hee hee

• Looks like a Savannah Holly to me and the berries turn orange in fall and red in winter and the birds make a fabulous mess with them in the spring! Birds do like to best in them and they respond well to pruning.

• Barbara Sullivan

@Mr Hunt can you give me some info.on these(yaupon tree?) Can they go go in Va.?

@Barbara Sullivan yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria) is native to the southeastern US. It's usually listed as being hardy to zone 8, and I suspect you may be 7 in Roanoke. You need male and female plants to get berries, which in my case usually last until the robins come through.

• Barbara Sullivan

@DouglasThey like in holly family what I'm understanding,I'm new here but have learn a lot reading all post Finelly found place where people no what talking about,lol I hope thank's a lot for answering me I appreciate your help.Cookie

Hometalk is a good place to hang out, Barbara. We hope you'll stick around.