My Egg Carving

I just wanted to share some of my Ostrich Egg Carvings with you.
Black Feather
Dragon Dance
Mustangs. This is an intaglio carving and lit from the inside. It's carved like you would carve a mold, inverted. The outside image is like a negative. When lit from the inside the image appears possitive
Iris. This is my night lamp. It sits on a rotating pedestal with light. This eggshell is carved from the inside. when the light is off it looks like a normal Ostrich egg, The image shows only when lit.
Mermaid.
Thumbelina. Also an intaglio carving.
Carla K

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions
  • Emyemy Emyemy on Feb 03, 2016
    Hello, i love what You're doing. Could You Tell me where You find your light. Merci
  • Elaine Elaine on Mar 19, 2016
    These are so beautiful, Carla, and I can't imagine the work involved. Are ostrich eggs hard to cut? I hope you are selling these and hope you are NOT pricing them cheap!! They are real art pieces! I'm curious as to what got you started on this technique. I'm assuming you don't cut a piece off the bottom for stability (like Gramma Carol) is asking. I used to display a collection of eggs ages ago and couldn't always find little rings/stands to put them in so I cut empty paper towel rolls in say, 1" pieces, painted them black and they worked out fine. Paper towel tubes are stronger then toilet paper rolls. I just thought of an idea .... wouldn't it be nice (and hopefully, lucrative!!) if a customer commissioned you to do a facsimile of their house? In other words, they bring a photo of their house and you create a replica of it on the egg. That would be quite a personal and treasured item!

Comments

2 of 41 comments
Next