Becky H
Becky H
  • Tampa, FL

Reworking the large front plant bed.

The two 50 yr. old Ilex have been in decline for the past 10 years the camphor tree grew, providing more shade than the Ilex liked. Freezes and droughts have taken their toll on other plants as well. Time to rework the bed.
View from 1/2 way down the driveway; bird of paradise, Aztec grass, tricolor ginger and oyster plants on fresh mulch.
A better look at the ginger and aztec grass.
Iris, grasses and oysters in the shade of an oak and a camphor tree.
Tricolor ginger adds a lot of color and form.
Large camphor with peacock ginger surround.  Plant bed begins at the fence, wrapping around the garage and continues down the drive to the sidewalk.
Large camphor with peacock ginger surround. Plant bed begins at the fence, wrapping around the garage and continues down the drive to the sidewalk.
Did I mention this is a large bed?
Did I mention this is a large bed?
The now modest lily will mature to 6' ht. with the baby shrubs maturing to 4'; the icicles (white mossy looking plants) will expand, but remain mounded.  I prefer to buy my plants small and let the grow into the bed.
The now modest lily will mature to 6' ht. with the baby shrubs maturing to 4'; the icicles (white mossy looking plants) will expand, but remain mounded. I prefer to buy my plants small and let the grow into the bed.
A closer look at those new additions replacing the failed Ilex.

• Becky H

Sharron, a gardner's work is never finished! You keep a list like mine. 8-) I hope "hubby" is doing fine. We never plan to have health issues when we make our lists. It's absolutely not fair about the heat!!

• Becky H

Thank you JP S. I like to play with color in filtered light; otherwise one might never notice they're plants there. I try to work light colors in with dark to allow the plants to display themselve well.