Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL
Asked on Jun 14, 2012

Lily - prettiest one I have

Becky HSusan SJoyce J
+27

This water lily only shows up in the very early morning but it lasts for several days.
My prettiest water lily
My prettiest water lily
  • Susan S

WOW!! Sherrie, this doesn't even look "real"!! Looks more like a water color painting!!

• Sherrie S

Thank you Susan S. I'm going to try to get a better picture when it is fully open. It was closing up when we took this one. When you put a pond in your yard you can have pretty lilies & frogs, too.

• Sharron W

WOW! What Variety IS THAT! it's Beautiful!!!!

• Miriam I

i can't believe it's real!!

• Nancy P

that is beautiful. The color is so vibrant.

• Sherrie S

As usual I don't know what it is. I've had it for many years before I thought of identifying my plants. Now I want to help but I can't. Some pond person on hometalk will know what it is.

• Becky H

Well darn Sherrie, I'd sure like to know which water lily this is. Maybe Douglas or Walter can help us out. I think this would do very well with my Tina (lavender bloom) and the white water lilies I have in my pond. I love the ruffled lily pads. Your water lily is very healthy.......no doubt you had something to do with that.

• Sherrie S

Becky H, no I do not feed the lilies but the fish are fed well. Why don't you post a picture of your lilies here? Today my pond is under construction to add a bead filter. I have too many critters & plants to care for so not being required to clean the skimmer/waterfall filters will be wonderful.

• Sharron W

I'm going to have to look up a "bead filter" so I know what that is...I REALLY want to get my new one built but I need all the info I can get this time cause I messed up one and I'm never doing another one If I mess this one up too...

• Sheri Z

How pretty.....just love it....

• Susan S

@Sherri - well Sweetie - that was a pretty thinly veiled "dig" - about when I get my pond and frogs and lilies and and and!!! OK, a good swift kick to get it in gear, GOT IT!! ;~ ) XOXOXO

• Sharron W

Ok found two close to yours but I believe this may be the one although the picture isn't as beautiful as your...Found out several things....Ruffled leaves means it's a tropical variety and not a "hardy" variety...

, This is the closet I could find to yours Shirley Bryne, The William McLane

Found what looks like the same one, but it isn't labeled either: http://www.flickr.com/photos/snonymous1/3583843967/

• Sherrie S

Sharon W, that darn flower changes look depending on the sun. Mine is a Hardy lily I think. I am reposting today since it is cloudy and my posting above too pink. About bead filter: They have been working on the install of the bead filter and other enhancements for the last few days. Should be done soon. Susan S darling, that wasn't veiled. Your statement is correct.

• Becky H

Susan S. at the moment I don't have any in bloom, but I'll post pics. of the blooms when they occur. We can compare. But, here are some pictures of my larger pond w/lily pads.

, The pond is between the gazebo and deck, A photo taken before the flagstone walkway was installed, A different perspective
  • Becky H

Susan, tell us about the bead filter! I have a pressurized filter, but would love any improvements over that if they're out there.

• Sherrie S

Same lily & one more but in a little more shade. Fish are lurking about looking for food in the first picture. It is a red lily, not pink or purple.

, Fish below waiting for food, Two lillies today
  • See More
  • Miriam I

Oh, Sherrie! Beautiful!!!!! They are so special.

• Becky H

Those are JUST gorgeous!!

• Nancy Rhodes C

The lily probably blooms around 9PM????? You could have a night party that others might watch. I do for my night blooming Cereus. It is wonderful seeing the buds pop into such beautiful delight.

• Sherrie S

Nancy C, this lily is just like my China Doll tree which blooms at night and tosses all of the flowers before I arise. I'm not a morning person.

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

GORGEOUS!!!!!!

• Sherrie S

Thank you all for the nice comments.

• Sherrie S

Becky H, Susan S doesn't have a pond nor does she know what a bead filter or a frog is, Right Susan S?

• Becky H

Sorry Sherrie........senior moment...........CRS.

• Charline Y

Love it.

• Sherrie S

Susan S, whoops I mean Becky H ... LOL The bead filter will be turned on today - training on Monday - Training is simply moving a lever so I should catch on quick.

• Joyce J

Very beautiful

• Susan S

Uh Huh - and multi-tasking isn't your forte either Sherrie or Becky!! Can't keep it straight who you're talkin to!!! I doooo sooo know what a freakin frog is - but I didn't know one or ther other of the could DROWN! :< ( Go figure. I think that was part of a Hosta conversation that really morphed into tadpoles etc. But, on the other hand Sherrie - I would just sit there mesmerized for hours on end - the fish sure know when it's dinner time!! Your pictures of the wter lilies & fish honestly look like a Monet Painting - may not exactly have my artists straight - but some one of the MASTERS!! Just breath taking!! Becky - been holdin' out on us, just havin us think all you did was plant veggies!! Really like the tiers and water cascading over the big flat rocks. I know you must really love sitting out there listening to all the night sounds!! I like the design - not too big but certainly big enough for immense enjoyment. Looks like it might be 6x8 ish?? Did you use a moulded liner or did you dig a hole and use a heavy duty liner??? Love it!!

• Becky H

Susan, I dug the hole and installed a heavy duty liner into it. The depth graduates from 3' to 1 1/2'. Your impression is correct; it's 6 x 8, a kidney shape w/rock overhangs. I wanted it to fit tidily between the deck and gazebo for enjoyment.

• Your comment...