Carla K
Carla K
  • Ouray, CO

Carved Emu Eggshells

Emu eggshells are smaller than the ostrich eggshells of course. They are also thinner. Not only that, the Emu egg is a deep, dark, emerald green on the outside but beneath that outer shell there are several layers that have different color pigments. Right beneath the dark green is a thin layer of gray. Beneath that a teal color that sometimes is more turquoise than teal and as beautiful as a gem. The last layer in every emu eggshell is snow white and paper thin. To expose this through carving is very difficult. But I used the different layers to carve relief work into the shells. Since I have been asked to show more of my work, here are more photos.
Ying and Yang
Ying and Yang
Captain Sparrow
Captain Sparrow
Japanese Lady
Japanese Lady
Dancing Hearts
Dancing Hearts
Cowboy Boots
Cowboy Boots
Carla K

• Jo Lilley

I've been given two emu eggs. Can I use a dremel to carve them, or do I need special carving equipment. I will probably be given more so if I totally screw up the first one it'll be okay, but I'd rather not waste them.

• Carla K

Thanks Steve, and I like what you did with those chairs. Budget is important for me too.

• 2ms2

I just noticed that you live in Ouray! That is one of my favorite places in the USA (HOT SPRINGS!!!) and you are so blessed to live there! I can see how the landscape there might inspire you to make such unique art.