Marcela Pena
Marcela Pena
  • Argentina

Painting a Vintage Label

I bought this beautiful piece at a thrift store. The veneer was damaged, so I decided it would be painted, and wanted a vintage label on it
painting a vintage label, diy, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, shabby chic
The work on the whole piece is the usual one: sanding and painting ( I used a green mixed with white and a touch of turquoise, which became a beautiful acqua color) for the body, and painted upper doors antique white. This is the place where I will paint the label
But painting the label was the key to this work. I downloaded an appropriate label from the site "The graphics fairy", and using another useful web site, "Blockposters", printed it the size I needed to cover both upper doors.
This is the way I used to transfer to the doors: With a soft black pencil, rubbed the back of the paper exactly where letters were. Then placed front on doors and "drew" every single word and line
This is how it looks before painting...
Started painting. Edges first and then filled interiors.
Painted the frame of label repeating the acqua color of the cupboard and other pastel colors.
Label ready!
After dry, sanded lightly for a worn out look.
And whole cupboard ready!
To make label look really old used some dark wax from the edges towards the inside.
Now you can follow my work on instagram: capitulodos, and in facebook: https://www.facebook.com/capitulodoslapagina

Marcela Pena

• Jennie Lee

I've used the "soft pencil on the back" method of copying something before, myself, but I can't help wondering if there was a particular reason why you didn't use carbon paper--? You copied it very well, I just thought it might have been easier to use carbon paper.

• Marcela Pena

Jennie, I use carbon paper often, but in this case, as the surface was white, I was afraid it would leave markings only by pressing the paper. Instead, using the pencil I rubbed it only following the letter outline, which made it cleaner.

• Candy Walsh

Did you use just regular copy paper to print out the graphic?

• Gaeyle Gerrie-Boss

Awould block poster be able to reverse the image so you could pencil the image area itself? Safe the trouble of trying to see through the paper....

• Patricia Antolic

What a beautiful piece anyone would be proud to have in their home. You had me at the first photo.

• Bai8633523

i liked it better before you touched it! such nice grain and you hid it.

• Marcela Pena

Thank you for your comment anyway. I must tell that it was veneer and was damaged, so I found painting a good possibility to bring it to life again...