Diann
by Diann

I Should Name This Post "Don't Let This Happen to Your Herbs!"

Since we are "Urban Farmers" we have little plots of land in different places to grow our herbs. And of course we have a lot of herbs growing in our yard. But, it seems we never have the time to work on our home herbs. And that means they get neglected. today I HAD to start dealing with them. I could have used a machete I think! Here are pictures of one of our Oregano plants. It was left un-harvested for way too long. Oregano should never get to this point. It was vining all over the place and no fresh sprouts could get any sunlight. And I even let it flower! A big mistake. I always preach to people to keep their herbs trimmed and not let them flower until the end of the season. So, everyone, do as I say and not as I do! LOL
Way overgrown oregano. It became a twisted mess of vines trying to reach the sunlight.
I got it all cut down. Unfortunately there are a lot of stems that don't have any started leaves on them because the plant was so neglected.
All the harvested oregano. I did a big "no no" and let a lot of it flower. I am always preaching at people not to let your herbs flower into the very last of the growing season.

Diann

• I try not to let them flower, but all you have to is turn your back on them and pow!

• Diann

this summer really has been the perfect temps and rainfall for the herbs. They have all gone wild. After I harvested the oregano I also did Lemon Balm, Catnip, Applemint, Orange Thyme and Lemon Thyme. All huge harvests. Now every tray and cookie sheet I own has herbs drying on them!