Joy B
Joy B
  • Port Orange, FL
Asked on Jun 15, 2012

how can I update a kitchen with dark cabinets

Marion NesbittDebbieElizabeth
+6

• KMS Woodworks

Cabinet refacing is a great middle road option....cheaper than full scale replacements...but more than a basic paint job. check out this article I wrote. http://www.networx.com/article/about-cabinet-facing

• Miriam I

Joy, if you want ideas for the rest kitchen, try posting a photo so we can see what you're working with.

• Joy B

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Jeanette S

What you do depends on what your budget is. You can go all the way from having new cabinet doors made and installing them with new hardware on refinished shell of existing cabinets to complete replacement of cabinets and reconfiguration of the kitchen. Depending on price range of your home and desires of the cook in your home as to the choice of appliances. The sky is the limit if you have the bucks. Just make sure if you overspend for your house you swill not get all your money out for overpriced purchases at resale. If you plan to be there a while, it won't matter!

• Patty S

My kitchen post shows how I refaced them with wainscoting and picture frame molding and painted them. Check it out.

• Custom Interiors

Prime and paint. The sky's the limit!!

• Elizabeth

paint-paint-paint. A low cost way to change something and if you don't like it, change it and try something else.

• Debbie

paint the cabinets... dont be afraid to try bright colors or white, greys... if you use a product called gripper by Glidden you dont have to sand except dings.... its quite easy.and fairly inexpensive as it does not use much paint.. just start taking off doors one by one.

• Marion Nesbitt

Agree that painting is your cheapest option.