Jill B
Jill B
  • Bismarck, ND
Asked on Aug 1, 2013

Bird Bath makeover

Pat MountfortGail lichtsinnBabby Blair
+10

I am using a lamp base and a ceiling light fixture cover for a bird bath. I really want to paint both sides of the light fixture....is spray paint safe for birds? Dont want to harm the poor fellas. Thank you!!!!
bird bath makeover, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
  • Judy

Some spray paint will chip when used on glass. If it is sealed and doesn't chip, it should be fine. The paint department should be able to help with enamels to use on glass. LOVE the pieces the way they are, though.

• Jill B

Thanks Judy!

• Z

I would not advise using paint on the inside/water basin part of the light fixture. It will not wear well at all and no mater what kind of paint I'd fear for the birds health. The way I look at it is.... If I don't want my children to ingest it, I don't want any other living thing to ingest it either. You might think about removing the paint from the underside of the light cover though.

• Jill B

How would I remove the paint from the underside?

• Z

I'm sure soaking it in some sort of paint thinner would work, but you might want to post a question asking the pros to help just to make sure. I'll tag @Peace Painting Co., Inc. first for you though.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Any paint from the inside of the light fixture would be negligible but if you wanted to clean it well just use some household rubbing alcohol. As for the lamp base, clean and rinse it well then spray prime it with a spray called 'XIM' available at your local Sherwin Williams store. This sticks to glass, tile, etc. At that point you can paint it with anything you like. Best, Charles

• Z

Thank you @Charles. I'm sorry I didn't explain our needs well. Jill is wanting to remove the white paint from the ceiling fixture globe. Do you know what would work?

• Judy Grecco

It may wear fine, just leave it and if it starts to peel, then let it peel off and use it as clear glass.

• Diana

No, paints are toxic to birds don't soak it in any kind of paint thinner either. Both while kill the birds, but cleaning with alcohol and rinsing it would be fine.

• C_b207898

nice idea

• Babby Blair

I'm not sure this shade will hold up outside very well. you will have gone to a lot of work for nothing. this glass is kinda thin. I found an old stand up ashtray and used a shade from an old hanging down light. It was very thick glass. I then had to put some big flat rocks in the middle cause it was too deep and with the curve of the glass the birds kept sliding down and wouldn't use it. you could just put it together for an ornament in your flowers and maybe put just bird seed in it. But you do what you feel is right. I also used that MIGHTY PUTTY to seal the center so the water didn't run out. It has been over 5 years, still in tact and doesn't leak a drop.

• Gail lichtsinn

Dont paint the inside of the part that holds water unless you use an epoxy..The water will make it fail..Birds peck at and land on every kind of paint there is..Unless its lead paint it wont hurt them..They dont readily eat paint chips either..

• Pat Mountfort

no matter what you use to clean it glass is not porous so just clean it well and you will be fine. also they paint bird houses don't they? Did that ever hurt the birds? I don't think so.