Repurposed Tuscan Oil Bottles

$20

I just can't throw away a beautiful bottle! A while back when I began using grape seed oil that came in gorgeous bottles, I stashed them away each time I emptied one - just waiting for inspiration to strike. A little paint and a couple of embellishments later was just the cure for my Tuscan fever.
These bottles are so pretty to me. I love their shape and style - just too nice to toss.
I started by removing the label and washing out the bottle to remove the oily residue.
After it was clean and dry, I gave it 3 coats of white chalk paint.
When the chalk paint was dry, I gave it a generous coating of crackle medium. The "trick" to getting a good crackle is to make sure you apply a really good coat; the thicker the crackle medium, the more dramatic the effect.
After the crackle medium was dry, I began applying the top coat. I worked on this project outside and because it was so hot, the paint dried quickly and the effects were almost instantaneous. For the final color, I only applied one coat.
Next I applied a layer of tacky glue around the neck of the bottle...
and began wrapping twine around from the bottom to the top, tucking the ends under at the beginning and end.
I love the look that was really beginning to speak Tuscan to me! All that was left was the stopper.
I chose a gorgeous Tuscan-styled drawer knob from Hobby Lobby (which just so happened to be half price that week - don't you just love Hobby Lobby and their awesome sales?) The original cork was perfect after removing it from the cap, and all it needed was a little hole to twist the knob into.
Done! I pressed it back down into the bottle, and was so happy with the results:
These bottles are easily adaptable to other decorating styles with just a change of paint and embellishments. Don't toss those gorgeous bottles! Repurpose them into unique decor.
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

To Work With My Hands

• Vicki Thompson Tuccillo

To do three (3) bottles, how much of each chalk paint, crackle and Acrylic paint did you use? You listed "Spone brush", but your pic above, shows a different kind of paint Brush's! What type of paint brush did you actually use? Beautiful

• To Work With My Hands

Hi Vicki - I don't know exactly how much paint I used on the bottles, but a regular craft-sized bottle of each of the paints and crackle medium was more than enough for these three bottles. I had some left over. I used a chip brush for the crackle medium in these, but I've also used a sponge brush at other times. Either works just fine, but a sponge brush is my personal favorite. Hope this helps. :)

• Sho15082433

So you only applied 1 coat of acrylic paint? Did you seal it with anything?

• Carol Stowell

What a great idea. I think even a true novice like me AND a clutz (like me, lol!) can handle this project. Mind if I ask what chalk paint u used?

• Monica

How do you get the cork into the bottle?

• Debra

Try doing the whole bottle or half of the bottle with jute or any twine, they have so many different ones now. I used to sell them at craft shows. I had forgotten, thanks for bringing back memories.

• To Work With My Hands

Thank you for sharing your idea, Debra. I love it and it really goes to show that there's lots of ways to go with it, doesn't it?

• Pat whitmus

Absolutely love the finished look! The stopper was the perfect embelishment to finish it off with!