Repurposed Tuscan Oil Bottles

$20

I just can't throw away a beautiful bottle! A while back when I began using grape seed oil that came in gorgeous bottles, I stashed them away each time I emptied one - just waiting for inspiration to strike. A little paint and a couple of embellishments later was just the cure for my Tuscan fever.
These bottles are so pretty to me. I love their shape and style - just too nice to toss.
I started by removing the label and washing out the bottle to remove the oily residue.
After it was clean and dry, I gave it 3 coats of white chalk paint.
When the chalk paint was dry, I gave it a generous coating of crackle medium. The "trick" to getting a good crackle is to make sure you apply a really good coat; the thicker the crackle medium, the more dramatic the effect.
After the crackle medium was dry, I began applying the top coat. I worked on this project outside and because it was so hot, the paint dried quickly and the effects were almost instantaneous. For the final color, I only applied one coat.
Next I applied a layer of tacky glue around the neck of the bottle...
and began wrapping twine around from the bottom to the top, tucking the ends under at the beginning and end.
I love the look that was really beginning to speak Tuscan to me! All that was left was the stopper.
I chose a gorgeous Tuscan-styled drawer knob from Hobby Lobby (which just so happened to be half price that week - don't you just love Hobby Lobby and their awesome sales?) The original cork was perfect after removing it from the cap, and all it needed was a little hole to twist the knob into.
Done! I pressed it back down into the bottle, and was so happy with the results:
These bottles are easily adaptable to other decorating styles with just a change of paint and embellishments. Don't toss those gorgeous bottles! Repurpose them into unique decor.
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
To Work With My Hands

• Anita

This is a great idea - however I do not see you mentioning what type of pain you used for the last color. Thanks in advance for your reply.

• To Work With My Hands

Oh, I'm sorry about that! I used Folk Art brand acrylic paint in Teddy Bear Tan.

• Anita

Thanks for the reply - Thinking of making some for the Holidays! :)

• Becky Fortin

They turned out GREAT! but I have a question, you covered them in chalk paint first. does it have to be chalk paint or could I use just reg.craft paint I already have?

• To Work With My Hands

Any paint you would like to use is fine. I wanted a nice contrast and I really wanted the base layer to be flat. I had the chalk paint on hand, so I used that, but you can use any paint you want that will adhere to glass. The crackle medium bottle does recommend acrylic, so I'd stick with that - unless you enjoy an experimental challenge - which isn't always bad. :) Happy crafting!

• Shilpi

How did you do the top coat ? Means what did you use to that

• Sally Rogers Red

did you drill the hole in the cork for the knob?

• Sheila

what paint did you use for the top coat it doesn't say the top coat after the 3 coats of crackle is dry

• To Work With My Hands

I used Folk Art acrylic in Teddy Bear Tan.

• Shilpi

Just created . Came out pretty nice . Thanks for the idea. Still need to finish the restbpart

, Just created Came out pretty nice Thanks for the idea Still need to finish the restbpart
    • To Work With My Hands

They're gorgeous and I love the color you used! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your project. You made my day!

• Becky Miller

How dry was the crackle before you top coated? What did FolkArt crackle medium directions say? I've seen posts where they let the crackle dry for a few minutes until "just tacky", which in my experience, it's about 5 minutes. And the results are not what I hoped for. BTW I've even tried Elmer's school glue and glue all with horrible results! I think your bottles are gorgeous!

• To Work With My Hands

Hi Becky - I'm sorry you've had so much trouble! I answered your comment at the blog, but in case you missed it, here's what I did: applied the base coat and let it dry; applied the crackle medium and let it dry (completely), applied the top coat, and the crackle effect began as it was drying. I worked outside in summertime, and each coat dried fast - about 5 minutes. Do watch out for humidity though - that may affect drying time. Try to work on a clear, dry day. I hope this helps.

• Becky Miller

Thanks for responding and the advice. Hopefully I can overcome my frustrations and try again! LOL Have a beautiful, blessed day!

• Cld11589598

If you live in Louisiana, it will never be dry outside. I live in SW FL and have to do any projects inside because of the humidity. That may have been your issue.

• Becky Miller

I can understand how the humidity would play a big part in the crackle process, but I've always worked on projects indoors. So I don't think that's the issue I've had. Thanks for the help!

• Csc9149307

Can you use this technique on a black picture frame?

• To Work With My Hands

I haven't tried that, but don't see why you couldn't.

• Dmotan

Yes

• Dmotan

Yes

• Judith

you can use the crackle effect on any thing that you can paint. Ive done it on walls and wood. But I find with crackle less is more. Small projects like the bottles, wood bowls or a frame are the best use..Just my opinion.

• Maggie

Is the finish waterproof or do you have to be careful washing it, etc

• To Work With My Hands

Well, I only use mine for decor. I dust them with a slightly damp rag, and they hold up just fine. I wouldn't feel comfortable submerging them in water though, especially with the twine attached. Hope this helps.

• Debbie Langer Borato

You said final coat.....does that mean you used the tan over white one time only?

• Janice Lloyd

can you dod this with any glass bottle such as a wine bottle? Thanks

• Dor10446850

So. You actually used chalk paint, crackle and a final paint color. Was the final coating a flat paint.

• Bea Panne

Thanks for sharing this great idea. Can I use this same paint and crackle medium on my mason jars?

• Linda

You painted an acrylic paint over the crackle? What color? I would have thought that would cover the crackle and needed a clear sealant.. Love them

• To Work With My Hands

Hi Linda, Yes, it's Folk Art acrylic - teddy bear tan. It does cover the crackle medium, creating the effect. No sealant needed. So glad you like them!

• Leslie

You said you applied a "top coat". A top coat of what? Acrylic paint or crackle medium??

• GlendaLynn Swartz

What did you use for the top coat. You did not say ?!?

• Vicki Thompson Tuccillo

To do three (3) bottles, how much of each chalk paint, crackle and Acrylic paint did you use? You listed "Spone brush", but your pic above, shows a different kind of paint Brush's! What type of paint brush did you actually use? Beautiful

• To Work With My Hands

Hi Vicki - I don't know exactly how much paint I used on the bottles, but a regular craft-sized bottle of each of the paints and crackle medium was more than enough for these three bottles. I had some left over. I used a chip brush for the crackle medium in these, but I've also used a sponge brush at other times. Either works just fine, but a sponge brush is my personal favorite. Hope this helps. :)

• Sho15082433

So you only applied 1 coat of acrylic paint? Did you seal it with anything?

• To Work With My Hands

No, I didn't seal it. My bottles are just decor pieces. If they were handled a lot a sealer would probably be a good idea. And yes, just one coat of paint after the crackle medium.

• Carol Stowell

Great idea. And I think even a clutz and total novice like me can handle this project! ❤️

• Carol Stowell

What a great idea. I think even a true novice like me AND a clutz (like me, lol!) can handle this project. Mind if I ask what chalk paint u used?

• Monica

How do you get the cork into the bottle?

• DEE CEE

The original cork was perfect after removing it from the cap, and all it needed was a little hole to twist the knob into. Done! I pressed it back down into the bottle, and was so happy with the results:

• To Work With My Hands

I used the original cork and it fit perfectly.

• Debra

Try doing the whole bottle or half of the bottle with jute or any twine, they have so many different ones now. I used to sell them at craft shows. I had forgotten, thanks for bringing back memories.

• To Work With My Hands

Thank you for sharing your idea, Debra. I love it and it really goes to show that there's lots of ways to go with it, doesn't it?

• Pat whitmus

Absolutely love the finished look! The stopper was the perfect embelishment to finish it off with!