Txvoodoo
Txvoodoo
  • Fort Worth, TX
Asked on Aug 2, 2013

What hardware to use on this piece?

Sia@South 47thTxvoodooKitchen Kelli
+9

We picked up this console dresser at an estate sale for $10. I felt like if nothing else, it'd look cute painted, & it's a nice size. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the door hardware now.
It was covered in dust, candle wax, and old brown paint. When we sanded it, we were pleased to find that the top was gorgeous oak! So we stained the top dark, and waxed it, and I'm painting the rest white.
You can see the hardware that came with it. Should I: 1) replace it with something newer? 2) spray paint it to be oil rubbed bronze, or hammered nickle? 3) other suggestion?
what hardware to use on this piece, painted furniture
  • Alex

I just did a similar color scheme on a dresser I revamped (white body, dark wood top) and I spray painted the original hardware oil rubbed bronze. I turned out pretty sharp in the end - so my vote is for the oil rubbed bronze spray paint!

• Txvoodoo

@Alex I'm leaning that way! This is a pretty retro style console, but is looking nice and fresh in this color scheme. The handles look VERY dated in their brass state, but they're not like..gargoyles or overly fussy, so I think that's the way to go!

• Sallie F Arnoult

I think that a smaller knob in a rectangular shape with a bronze rubbed finish would be better than the dated pulls. Those pulls could always be used in another project.

• Patricia W

Oh my gosh! I saw two, exactly like that at goodwill today, 1/2 off! I was thinking of painting them Lagoon, by Krylon., My little brother did one in lagoon, and it turned out beautiful!!!!

• Txvoodoo

@Sallie F Arnoult Now you have me thinking again! :D @Patricia W Make sure you click on the pic - this isn't an end table, but a console - long and not deep. I think it'll make a great media stand!

• Dianne Staples

I would paint the color you said always like to keep original hardware.

• Jessica C

I would paint the piece red and make the hardware black. I think it would make a great oriental flare to the piece.

• Patricia W

Yes it is! Those are still down there, they are end tables though. Salvaged Inspirations has the end table one done it a white with a really pretty design on top. My brother has the console type done in a pretty bluegreen. Anyway, I love how they came out! Lots of good ideas here!

• Kitchen Kelli

I like the bronze option because when I made that white desk into a table, we stripped the hardware to find it to be a lovely color that just needed a little help. We did them in a bronze and looked gorgeous against the white!

• Sia@South 47th

@Txvoodoo Well what a FAB FIND! I'd certainly keep the hardware and go with your 'gut' on the finish after you have painted.

• Txvoodoo

Thank you all! I think what I'm going to do is pretty much what @Sia@South 47th suggested - use the original hardware, wait until painting is done (it's taking SO long with temps being so high - I don't want the paint to blister and bubble!) and then decide. :)

• Sia@South 47th

Looking forward to seeing your fantastic 'reveal'! @Txvoodoo Please stay cool there!!! xox