Mary
Mary
  • Bonita Springs, FL

Deckbox to Litterbox

I picked this old deck box up at Habitat for humanity for $20., because I wanted to have a place to keep, my litter box, and contain the dust, the mess, and be able to clean it with ease
deckbox to litterbox, repurposing upcycling
I cleaned it with Dawn dish, soap and the hose, then let it dry out.
I cut an entrance in one end with a small hand saw, with no difficulty at all.
Next step was to spray paint.
View from side
I added a concrete mixing pan, for the litter box, because it is very sturdy. When I need to clean, I open the top, sit on a stool, and clean. It saves my back, and keeps all the dust inside.
Because I live in Florida, and the box is on my enclosed lanai, (porch) I don't want anyone to know that it is a litter box. This has been the easiest project, and has made life with a litter box, so much easier to live with. It is quite a large box, but you could choose a smaller one, if space is a problem. The concrete mixing pan comes in 2 sizes, in Home Depot. I have 3 cats, so I chose the large.

• Deckbox  (Habitat for humanity)
  • Spray paint  (Home depot)

• S

Why did you paint it if you're covering it with a tarp?

• Mary

I painted it because I was not going to cover it. The area on the lanai, where it sits, is a seating area, with a tropical wicker couch, a table and lamp, and matching chair, ...very relaxing , just wanted a different look.

• Renee

I need this for my two varmints. Kidding, my Cats. The dust, litter gets everywhere. I stress about it everyday. I don't mind the cleaning, but it's overwhelming because I can't deal with the floors, dusting , moppping, vacuuming....everyday. I want to scream BUT, I L💕VE my Boo-Boos. This is awesome. I'm worried about finding a "deck box?"though. Any ideas? They come in different sizes? Please help🕙if you can, I really need to do this. Kind wishes, Renée. bailey10034@gmail.com

• Lisa McRae Coopersmith

Approx how much does a deck box cost? We have been using the cement mixing box for years. It is big enough and dead enough, that there are never any issues.

• Wil33691986

If you have the room, this is really brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

Pheatherqyll

• Heather Elizabeth Lahman

I am doing this project with in the next 2 weeks. I absolutely love it! I already have the deck box. Just need paint and a saw. Thank you for sharing your brilliant idea!!