Gillian
Gillian
  • Ashburn, VA
Asked on Aug 2, 2013

Help in identifying house plant.

GillianMikell PaulsonKaren
+14

Hi-does anyone recognize this house plant?
Thanks!
help in identifying house plant, gardening
  • Kimberly Barney

It is a tropical indoor plant and it's name spelled phonetically is Chaf-ah-lier. Sorry, I cannot find the correct spelling. They are pretty common plants so you may be able to find one at your local nursery.

• Anna Marie A

This plant goes by many names Brassia arboricola, arboricola, schefflera, octopus plant and umbrella plant.

• Liza

it's called a schefflera

• Gillian

Thank you for helping me!

• P

Umbrella plant. they can get really tall and large leaves.

• Kelly

Looks like a schefflera

• Meg

I found a deep-green seedling amongst the variegated schleferra in my yard. I've decided to "bonsai" it to grow into an Umbrella tree. I live in zone 10 so I know it can be done! I just don't know where it came from! Lol

• Kathi Manley-Cooper

Yes, it's a schleferra a.k.a. umbrella plant. I've got 2 that I received from my mother's funeral 10 years ago. They like to stay hydrated and like lots of sunlight. They can grow very tall if you don't keep them trimmed. Really easy to care for though.

• Mikell Paulson

If they get to tall, just cut the top off and put the top back in the pot , or start a new plant! Just stick the top into a pot and it will root. Very easy to grow!

• Gillian

This plant has stated the same height (about 2 ft high) for the last 2 years...it is very pretty and healthy but maybe it's time to repot it...

• Gillian do not repot it. If you want it to grow then it likes to be rootbound. Scheffleras love the outdoors in summer as long as they are shielded from direct light. It will grow if you can put it outside and under a shade tree or on a deck under a shade structure. My scheffleras are over 14 years old and I have only repotted 2x. In my 30 years of growing them, I find they will grow taller if they are rootbound. I live in VA so they cannot tolerate the direct sun but they will love you if you put them outside! and water them with rainwater!

• This looks a lot like the two I have on patio with twisted trunks, I think it is Panchiria...more than schefferias....(please excuse spelling)....

• Karen

I trimmed my scheflerra/umbrella in the spring and fed it. It rooted itself and is looking less ackward. It seemed to do well. Water about once a week w/drainage indoors in MI.

• Tracey T

If planted outdoors it will become a nice tall tree with large leaves to shade.

• Karen

It depend where you live to be outdoors. MI not so much.

• Mikell Paulson

Better be warm to live outside! It is a Tropical plant!

• Gillian

it is a money plant! thanks everyone!