Simply Spring Stencils
Simply Spring Stencils
  • Albuquerque, NM

Grown Up Shelf Re-do - From Childish to Chic Using Stencils

When my son's girlfriend decided she no longer wanted her childhood shelf, (complete with pen markings, stickers, marker, etc!) my son knew right where to bring it. I was determined to take it from childish to stunning - think I did a pretty snazzy job of it :)
After - Ta Da!
After - Ta Da!
I took me a while to get all of the "scotch" tape off, stickers and such. I gave it a good scrubbing.
Before
Before
After cleaning, I stained the wood but I didn't like the result. It was way too marred. SO! Paint it was. I taped the shelves off. (Later removed to paint the frame.) Which I should've done in the first place. Hindsight. Yup.
grown up shelf re do from childish to chic using stencils, how to, painted furniture, shelving ideas
I painted the shelves with an Acrylic cream colored paint that I had left over. Purchased from Lowes, Valspar, but - it doesn't have the name. Durnit. It took three coats to cover correctly as I didn't use a primer first.
I chose my stencil placement by finding the center of the shelves and center of the stencil. I used my design Balborough (it's a border stencil and actually comes with two for easy repeating - handy, made the job go faster!) My designs can be used with paint or as a raised plaster stencil. Here's where to find the stencil: http://simplyspring.com/products/raised-plaster-stencil-balborough
Using a 3" stencil roller, I used a medium gray acrylic paint and rolled it over the stencil openings.
Once it was dry, I then dry brushed (taking most of the paint off the brush, I brushed on napkin to remove the excess) over the stencil to give it some character. Leave the stencil on while painting!
I took the shelves off to paint the underside of the shelves and painted the frame with a black acrylic. I sprayed the frame and shelves with a gloss clear coat. The shelves received about six coats as I wanted to really protect the design.
In hindsight, I kinda wish I had flipped the design to the left for some visual interest on the middle shelf......
All done!
All done!
Thanks for stopping by - I hope you enjoyed my shelf make-over!

• Valspar paint  (Lowes)
  • Stencil  (http://simplyspring.com/products/raised-plaster-stencil-balborough)
  • "Stencil Ease" repostional stencil adhesive  (Hobby Lobby)

To see more: http://simplyspring.com/

• Mary Pena

Very impressed

• Pamela Stewart

I think you did a fabulous job and it does look snazzy. In fact I plan to use it as inspiration for a bookcase. Thank you very much for sharing this project all the places to get the supplies.